coffee

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I found that the Folgers Singles taste pretty darn good when on the road and soooo easy to use. They are like big tea bags. Just boil your water and poor it in your cup with one of the bags in it. Done ! They are individually packed so easy to carry a few.. We already carry something to head water with and a cup, so just add a few of the packets.

DJ

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
DJ,
That's my preferred method--except that I use two bags per cup for my morning jolt.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got to get a cup and some of those bags. They were pretty good at Spearfish last summer.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I used the Folgers Singles when I hike at Philmont Scout Ranch back in 2003. Amazingly, I was the only coffee drinker in our crew. The Singles were great, work like aa tea bag then just toss. Nothing to clean up.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
That is pretty cool.

however, since we also tour on our BMW's, we're forced to 'keep up' with our upscale BMW riders. :wink:

http://mypressi.com/

Will have to look at getting one of them Ortlieb things. We've used the Starbucks Via and the Folgers coffee bags. Not bad, but I roast my own beans at home and we've become spoiled. I have a french press, but it gets so messy....

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Not bad, but I roast my own beans at home and we've become spoiled. I have a french press, but it gets so messy....
I love to roast my own green beans also. What type of roaster do you use?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
When 'in a hurry' I use the Folgers singles. When more leisurely I have a french press I use for coffee with breakfast.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I love to roast my own green beans also. What type of roaster do you use?
Its a Nesco roaster:

http://www.nesco.com/products/Kitchen-Appliances/Coffee-Preparation-Roasting-Grinding-and-Brewing/Coffee-Bean-Roaster-Pro-Series/

(Sweet Marias has it for $150.00)

Current favorite roasts are:

1)1:1 mix of Aged Sumatra Aceh (2007 crop) and Kona

2) 1:1 mix of Burundi Sogestal Kirimiro & Yemen Mokha Ismaili
with this one I may sometimes do 2 oz's each plus 1 oz of Kona

Usually do Full City on both of these. I did a FC+ on the first mix once, but it was just too bitter. Didn't work for an espresso roast. lol Still trying to find the perfect beans for that. I may try some beans from Bolivia.

I make enough for a week at a time. (about 3 batches with the little Nesco) Roast, cool, then store for no less than 3 days in a mason jar. Opening that jar up on day 4.... heaven.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT700v
Its a Nesco roaster:

http://www.nesco.com/products/Kitchen-Appliances/Coffee-Preparation-Roasting-Grinding-and-Brewing/Coffee-Bean-Roaster-Pro-Series/

(Sweet Marias has it for $150.00)

Current favorite roasts are:

1)1:1 mix of Aged Sumatra Aceh (2007 crop) and Kona

2) 1:1 mix of Burundi Sogestal Kirimiro & Yemen Mokha Ismaili
with this one I may sometimes do 2 oz's each plus 1 oz of Kona

Usually do Full City on both of these. I did a FC+ on the first mix once, but it was just too bitter. Didn't work for an espresso roast. lol Still trying to find the perfect beans for that. I may try some beans from Bolivia.

I make enough for a week at a time. (about 3 batches with the little Nesco) Roast, cool, then store for no less than 3 days in a mason jar. Opening that jar up on day 4.... heaven.
You have good taste in coffee. Yemen Mocha is one of my favorites.

A hot air pop corn popper makes a great coffee roaster.

fltsfshr

Bike
2011 NT700v
You listen to it. When you hear in pop the first time that's a light roast. Second time is a dark roast. Then you do the same cool down, and seal it up.

fltsfshr

Bike
2010 NT700V
Senior coffee at McDonalds. 55 cents.
Nothing to carry except some pocket change. No electrical outlet needed.
Go inside, get coffee, dump some down the drain at the pop dispenser, replace with water or ice. Or walk around outside while it cools.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I use a FreshRoast SR500, also from Sweet Marias. I had lots of problems with the darker roast being to bitter at first until I slowed down the roasting process. I think the air roasters heat the beans up a little to fast. On the SR500 I find 2 minutes on low, then 2 on medium, before going to high slows things down enough to get smooth darker roast.

Sweet Marias has several espresso blinds. You might try a couple of those.

As for my preference I started with Sumatra but have switched to Brazilian in the last year or so. I have also found several Guatemalan batches that are not to bad.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Mmm Kona. To me, nothing beats 100% estate Kona brewed from a good press (try the aeropress it's amazing). But due to the outrageous cost, I only treat myself to it on occasion!

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Mmm Kona. To me, nothing beats 100% estate Kona brewed from a good press (try the aeropress it's amazing). But due to the outrageous cost, I only treat myself to it on occasion!
It is kinda spendy compared to the rest of the beans I buy. However, when I wander through the coffee aisle at the grocery store, I look at how much a bag of Starbucks beans are, and the Kona isn't that much more and it is sooo much better than anything SB has.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
It is kinda spendy compared to the rest of the beans I buy. However, when I wander through the coffee aisle at the grocery store, I look at how much a bag of Starbucks beans are, and the Kona isn't that much more and it is sooo much better than anything SB has.
I hear you! I was spending around $10 a day at Starbucks when I decided to buy a good espresso machine and roaster and start roasting my own beans. Best move I ever made. Coffee is considerably better, and it all paid for itself in the first year.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Well, $10/bag of Starbucks (I actually prefer Peet's) but Kona ordered from the farm in Hawaii is like $23/lb and then shipping on top of it. So you have to order at least a couple pounds per go so it's over $50 for two pounds, which is significantly more than anything in the grocery store. But, it is significantly better, too.

I've been ordering Kona from www.smithfarms.com since 1999 on rare occasion. Older husband and wife - she runs the website and handles orders, he's the grower and roaster. I'm probably due to order from them again soon. Super nice people, but they ain't cheap!

Top Bottom