Cold I can handle, but the ice is killing my riding time

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I rode to work on Tuesday knowing we'd be getting hit with another storm in the early afternoon. I fully expected to leave the bike in the garage overnight in the hopes of riding it home the next day. Unfortunately, the continuing single digit temps have prevented the roads from being cleaned enough to risk the ride home. Thus, I had to take the train again today - and of course it was :45 late and packed.

I can hardly wait until tomorrow afternoon in hopes the streets will be cleared enough to take to 2 wheels again. I'm also hopeful the battery will still turn the bike over after another day of single digits. Unfortunately, there isn't a wall plug close enough to the bike for me to put it on the Battery Tender for a while.

Would covering it help any?

I wouldn't worry about the cold hurting the battery.

Our neighborhood roads are still snow packed where I live and the roads are okay for dual track vehicles but even close to being ready for single track vehicles. The temps don't look like they are going to be helpful in clearing the streets for the next week. Ugh!

As long as the battery was fully charged when you parked it you'll be fine. More important is how cold will it be when you start it? The thickened oil will be more of a factor than the battery.

My bikes sit outside and have never had a battery tender on them. Two weeks at below zero lows and highs in the 20s. Then when it thaws out they start up just fine.

Friday at lunchtime, I took a look at the streets around the garage to ensure I wasn't going to be traveling through any snow/ice out to the more heavily traveled roads and it looked good. Actually started it up and let it run at high idle for a few minutes. Was a bit disappointed at the amount of sediment that was on the fuel tank from an obvious drip from above. Eh.

After work, it started right up and was fine for the commute home. We got some more snow on Saturday, but it was basically off the roads by this morning's commute to work. I'm on my way out for this evening and expect to ride in the 10 degree temperature tomorrow morning and back home in an expected 17 degrees.

They say it will be 7 degrees when I leave for work in the morning. I put the chin curtain back in my Neotec and the batteries for my gloves are on the charger. The lowest I have ridden is 18 so tomorrow's ride should be interesting.

Temps in the low double digits this morning - 10-12 degrees. My Gerbing heated gloves can't keep up with the windchill at that temp. I'll have to remember to put the handlbar muffs on when it's below 15. Still, the ride was fine and the bike provided adequate coverage. I did try wearing an older Nolan N103 helmet as it has a nose cone and the shield can be adjusted to much closer to closed than the N104 in the first detent position. Helmet was good even without the fog insert.

Along the ride, I stopped to assist a stranded motorist and diagnosed a broken belt as the cause of the sudden cutout of his engine. He wasn't in a good place and I was happy once the cop appeared on the scene with flashing lights. About a minute later a tow truck appeared and I'm sure will overcharge the poor guy to get his car to an overpriced auto repair place. But at least he's aware of what the issue is before he gets taken advantage of too much.

And this crap continues. We've had snow on the ground for longer than I can remember. Subfreezing temps prevent the roads from ever completely drying. And we get more every couple of days. This is all very unusual from the Philadelphia area and we're expecting a Nor'easter tomorrow night that may dump another foot. I'm afraid my NT won't see the light of day until Spring.

Got a few miles on mine in December but haven't seen clear roads here in WV since then. Sun comes out but never actually melts all the ice off the roads. Not to mention there is soo much salt on the roads they are white. Would hate to get on some wet roads with all that crap. Hoping for sunshine soon.

DJ,

The predicted temps for next week starting on Monday (in Troy, OH) are 44, 38, 43, and 50! It should be warmer down your way but our "new normal" in regards to winter seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom or historical data.

Tosh

If it gets much colder : people ar gonna start wearing heated gear in their homes , and then mfg. volumes will explode therefore we will all see less expensive electric clothes :) aagh.. the benefits of global cooling ..

Back
Top Bottom