Cold Wx/Hands: NT solutions?

Newish rider.

On the NT, what’s worked for you all to keep hands warm in cold temps? First coldish ride today on interstate, temp in the 40s. I see more cold wx riding in my future.
- gloves?
- hand or brush guards?
- some kid of fairings?
- manning up and moving my hands inboard?

Thanks!

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Joe Rocket fur-lined gloves, available from Revzilla and other online stores, worked well for me. They have long sleeves to go over your jacket sleeves.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Newish rider.

On the NT, what’s worked for you all to keep hands warm in cold temps? First coldish ride today on interstate, temp in the 40s. I see more cold wx riding in my future.
- gloves?
- hand or brush guards?
- some kid of fairings?
- manning up and moving my hands inboard?

Thanks!
Electric liner and gloves, with heated grips. Then you could add the NT faring extenders (if you can still find them. expensive little devils.) See attached picture, Circled Item

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a pair of these and when fitted to my NT, I can ride at 65-mph+ for long distances while wearing my most comfy, unlined deerskin gloves. I hate true winter gloves because they make my hands feel as if I'm wearing boxing gloves!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Thermal lined GoreTex gloves (textile/leather mix) with long gauntlets to fit/seal under/inside the (expandable) jacket sleeves...
Additionally thin under-gloves (elastan), not only to add another layer, they also ease slipping in/out your gloves, especially when you got wet/damp fingers (like from working your jacket closures during a tank-stop in the rain), they will then also prevent pulling your glove liner out (which basically ruins every lined glove right there...)
Yes, you'll tear those thin under-gloves apart rather quick (like when they got stuck on a Velcro), but for under € 10,-/pair (vs € 140,- for quality GoreTex gloves) I rate them consumables and pack 2~3 pairs for a tour...

But keeping your torso as well as your neck and head warm helps maintaining blood circulation in your extremities...
Got a transtex/windstopper neck-warmer reaching up to my ears, sealing all between chest and helmet rim...
Designated functional underwear and thermo sweaters to build several thin layers (providing better insulation then one thick liner) do a lot...
And all those modern, breathable while insulating fabrics work really great...
At first my GF frowned about the costs of all the special garments I suggested... now she even declined installation of grip-heaters on her NT...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have used Tourmaster heated gloves for years and my hands have remained comfy down to about 25°. If you go the heated glove route, I would recommend buying only the ones that are powered by the bikes 12VDC system. The 7.3VDC gloves with the built in batteries only provide heat for a couple of hours when on high. My V-Strom has heated grips that I am anxious to try in addition to my gloves

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I commuted every winter for 9 years. I had heated grips on my NT and while they helped when it got under freezing the back of my hands would get very cold. Over the years I tried everything from hand guards to handle bar muffs to all sorts of winter gloves. The only thing that really worked for me was electric gloves. As Mike stated the best ones are the ones the hook up to the NT’s battery but I also used the ones with rechargeable batteries which work fine as I was commuting I could recharge them at work or at home and I liked not being attached to the bike with an electrical cord.

OP
OP
Tuchango
I commuted every winter for 9 years. I had heated grips on my NT and while they helped when it got under freezing the back of my hands would get very cold. Over the years I tried everything from hand guards to handle bar muffs to all sorts of winter gloves. The only thing that really worked for me was electric gloves. As Mike stated the best ones are the ones the hook up to the NT’s battery but I also used the ones with rechargeable batteries which work fine as I was commuting I could recharge them at work or at home and I liked not being attached to the bike with an electrical cord.
Good stuff; thanks!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have used battery powered mittens I found on Amazon...Vests too. Much cheaper than the real stuff and it works

You can spend a couple hundred and have both.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I use long winter gloves (that reach midway up the forearm), and silk liner gloves underneath. I can ride almost every winter day with this combo. It is important to have a drawstring on the end of the winter gloves that can be tightened around your jacket arm. This makes a big difference.

Top Bottom