Colorado question

bicyclist

Last night I read a report of a trip some guy and his wife did in CO exploring the old Denver South Park and Pacific railroad. Interesting stuff. I had the map out and the Wiki and all that stuff. A couple of years ago, I spent some time riding a lot of the passes, but only the paved ones. Their trip was mostly on unpaved roads. As I was looking at maps following their route, my eye was attracted to the area between Ouray and Lake City. I know that there is an unpaved route between the two. Anybody ridden it? How technical is it? Can it be done on a Vstrom or Versys?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Last night I read a report of a trip some guy and his wife did in CO exploring the old Denver South Park and Pacific railroad. Interesting stuff. I had the map out and the Wiki and all that stuff. A couple of years ago, I spent some time riding a lot of the passes, but only the paved ones. Their trip was mostly on unpaved roads. As I was looking at maps following their route, my eye was attracted to the area between Ouray and Lake City. I know that there is an unpaved route between the two. Anybody ridden it? How technical is it? Can it be done on a Vstrom or Versys?
You are talking about Engineer Pass (12700 Ft) .It is do-able but suppose to be one of the more technical 4X4 passes to get over. I have not ridden it. Not sure I would not want to take my Wee over it. I might do it with my DR650. But then I am getting older and my bones are a bit more brittle. I suggest that you research Engineer Pass and not knowing what your off road riding skills are, go from there. Look at jeep 4x4 sites. Good info there. I have taken a BMW GS over Mosquito pass out side Leadville about 15 years ago. It was rated a 4 out 10 by the jeep guys. It was a handful for me. I also tried to take my Wee over Hagerman Pass this past summer, but wussed out near the top as I was by my self and did not want to brake the bike. All of these passes are 4x4 jeep passes. Don't try these passes until July early Aug, or you run a chance of snow blocking your way.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is a picture of me going over Cinnamon Pass(12620 ft) which is easier the Engineer Pass. This picture was taken in 95. I am riding the red BMW GS in the far background. I am the one taking the picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bicyclist

I figure that a Versys (or Strom) can go anywhere that a GS can go. After all, they're all street bikes.

The couple who did the ride report posted some pictures and none of the stuff looked terribly difficult. Obviously, they were on a different route. He rode a WR250 and she had a CRF230. They drove their Blazer up to the Alpine tunnel.

I need to find a good source of info about the unpaved passes. I also need a CRF250L and a pickup.:)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I figure that a Versys (or Strom) can go anywhere that a GS can go. After all, they're all street bikes.

The couple who did the ride report posted some pictures and none of the stuff looked terribly difficult. Obviously, they were on a different route. He rode a WR250 and she had a CRF230. They drove their Blazer up to the Alpine tunnel.

I need to find a good source of info about the unpaved passes. I also need a CRF250L and a pickup.:)

A 250 Dirt style bike verses a Wee650. Makes a difference. Also pictures can be very deceiving when it comes to trails roughness and steepness. Such as the following with my Wee on Haggerman Pass. It was alot steeper than it looks. Was standing up on the pegs most of the ride up. Good thing I had a bash plate on the bike as I smacked the engine case a few times, going up. Now the DR would be alot of fun even with it being a 650. And that is why I bought the DR650.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here are a couple of pictures going over Webster Pass over looking Red Cone. I was on my old KLR650 at the time. Believe me, there is a big difference weather you have 4 wheels on the ground or just two wheels. Might be easy sitting in a jeep but a bit more difficult standing on the pegs in the loose shale. However I think being on the bike has a bigger Fun Factor....until you fall down.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Great pictures. I think that I may be too old for that. You certainly get very little leeway.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Thanks for the info, Chuck. Further poking around revealed that the roads that the couple were riding on are shown as dirt roads on the Colorado map and the ones I was inquiring about are listed as 4 X 4 trails. The technical part of the route just south of Ouray is the first couple of miles which is described as "ledgey" with loose rock. I found some videos, including one made by a guy riding two up over Cinnamon on an F800GS. As you say, photos don't accurately portray grade and surface, but videos are great for that.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
You are welcome. Hope to have some up front and personal reports of these jeep 4x4 passes this summer with the DR650. Anybody want to come out and ride them with me?
What are your plans, are you planning to take your Wee over some of those passes? I asked a good buddy of mine that has ridden over Black Bear with a BMW GS. His skill level is about twice mine. He said Black Bear was a hand full with the GS. He said he could make it over Engineer with his Wee, but he would do it very slow and easy. Suspension, wheel base, and weight are the draw backs of the Wee. That is why I sold the KLR and bought the DR. Less weight. Still might have to go smaller. Will find out this summer.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I am definitely thinking about riding my Wee on the TAT toward Colorado for the Pre-Pre-Rally. (I know..it's an NT gathering, but what the heck) I have very low level dirt skills, and the DR seems like the better candidate to ride the passes, but it might be okay with 2 riders..the new Heidenaus are in the basement and chomping at the bit.
Don't worry about that. I am planning to ride my DR650 over Weston, Mosquito, and Hagerman Pass to the Pre Rally at Ruedi Reservoir also. And any other dirt passes that I can find.

A really good map Reference Atlas is the "Colorado Road & Recreation Atlas" (see picture) I have a home Desk copy and I also have my on the road copy that I take with me. I shows all the good paved, dirt and 4x4roads. I don't leave home with out it. Sometimes I will make page copies of an area I know I am going to be riding in for my tank bag. Well worth the 15 bucks @ Sam's Club.

PS What is a TAT

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
A couple of things to add.... As far as the PRR I am all bikes will be welcome! Hagarman Pass was also a train route. The Colorado Midland train went from Leadville over Hagerman down to Basalt and eventually to Aspen to pick up the loads of silver ore. I did a lot of exploring on Hagarman Pass years back, and there are two train tunnels you can still look into along that route if you know where to look. One tunnel is actually used now as a water diversion to the eastern slope, and the other tunnel is full of water but you can still look in it and see the grand timbers holding it up. I think it was in the 30s that one of the tunnels was converted for car use with a clock on both sides. One side you could only enter on the half hour, and the other on the hour, that way you would not meet in the middle of the narrow tunnel and have to back out! I have some old history books about the trains with great pictures taken back then, fun to compare it to present day. The Fying Pan road up to Ruedi is actually the old railroad bed of that same train line.

OP
OP

bicyclist

http://www.transamtrail.com

A few years ago, a guy named Sam Correro laid out an off road route across the country which is now called the Transamerica Trail, or TAT. He sells a set of route sheets for the ride and the trail has developed quite a following. I believe that there are GPS files available and there are lots of ride reports.

I don't know what my riding plans for the year will be. Last year's planned trip to Alaska got aborted, so I'll probably have another shot at that. I've been considering going to Spearfish and then heading north, but that will be on the NT. My old riding partner is still working, so we have to adjust our plans to his work schedule.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
http://www.transamtrail.com

A few years ago, a guy named Sam Correro laid out an off road route across the country which is now called the Transamerica Trail, or TAT. He sells a set of route sheets for the ride and the trail has developed quite a following. I believe that there are GPS files available and there are lots of ride reports.

I don't know what my riding plans for the year will be. Last year's planned trip to Alaska got aborted, so I'll probably have another shot at that. I've been considering going to Spearfish and then heading north, but that will be on the NT. My old riding partner is still working, so we have to adjust our plans to his work schedule.
OK, now I remember. My long time riding buddy and I have talked about doing that South to North. Ahh, So many roads and not enough time. He wants me to ride back to Alaska this summer with him via the WeeStrom. I think I am going to stay a bit closer to home, spend the summer exploring more of Colorado and Idaho, Montana.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
You got more stuff on yours. I have left my bars on the Wee alone but have raised the bars on the DR and lowered the pegs on the DR. Don't have aux lights on the Wee as I don't ride at night anymore. OEM pegs, no abs switch. And I took my Audiovox CCS-100 cruise off the ST1300 becouse I don't use it that much in the mountains and it stopped working correctly. I still have OEM shock and springs on the Wee and the DR.

Top Bottom