Colorado Rockies Ride

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I left Golden this morning at about 10:30. I could see clouds and worried that I might get into snow/ice at the Eisenhower Tunnell (over 10,000 ft MSL) or on Vail Pass (about 11,000 ft). But by the time I got to Idaho Springs I knew I'd be seeing dirty cars coming down the hill if it was wet on top.

It did get cold...21F at the west side of the tunnel, 23F on Vail Pass...but with just my 'Stich and my electric jacket turned up all the way, and my heated grips on 4 out of 5, I was comfortable. By the time I got to beautiful Glenwood Canyon, it was into the 50s.

From Glenwood to Snowmass Village, the ride up the Roaring Fork Valley was absolutely magnificent.

I saw four BMW GS's, one Goldwing, one Harley, one ST on the road today. They all saw one NT plus whatever else was going west.

Thursday, I'll ride home over Independence Pass, Buena Vista, Trout Creek Pass, and Kenosha Pass. I'll take time to stop and take some pictures on my way home.

Rocky and I got to meet briefly at noon. He was working and people were looking for him, but we talked maybe 10 minutes before he had to hotfoot it to the Snowmass emergency of the hour.

I had a nice ride along the Lower River Road with my buddy on his Kawasaki Vulcun, thanks to Rocky's directions.

Rocky, I'll be back! Tomorrow it's over Independence Pass, down to Buena Vista, and home.

Thanks, Bob, but I'm fixed. I'm staying at the Silvertree in Snowmass Village.

Have a safe and enjoyable ride home Phil. Indy Pass should be very beautiful, and there are a few pullouts to enjoy the view. Be aware of narrow sections and SHARP curves! We will have to set up a western CO trip next year!

Any of you Colorado folks been down in AZ on US191? 90 miles of twisting, turning fun. Except for the crumbling chip seal :(

It was a good trip home, Rocky. I threw in the Maroon Bells on my way to Independence Pass.

Back
Top Bottom