Connecting Oxford Hot Hands to Accessories Socket

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I have Oxford Hot hands which I've used for several years(previous bike and now my NT) which I have always plugged directly to battery. I've never drained the battery through forgetfulness, but it's probably just a question of time. I've been reading the UK Deauville site and want to connect to the switched accessory socket(speaker connectors I think) under the left side fairing. One post mentions bullet connectors. My question is 1. What kind of bullet connector do I need to splice unto my current Hot Hand wires? 2. Where kind I get them. Also I need to upgrade the fuse from 3 to 5. Can I get a fuse from Auto parts place or my Stealership only.(I really try to avoid the later.... long story).

Any help appreciated.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Herb,

It's hard to say which bullet connectors you need unless you see what's under there. There are some pretty standard bullet connectors and you'd want them for a relatively small-gauge wire (probably 16 guage). You probably need the male connector, but you might have to buy them with both male and female.

I think you'll be able to find fuses easily. Did you get a Fuze-block? If you do, you could run them to that and just use a standard mini-fuse of the right size.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
1. What kind of bullet connector do I need to splice unto my current Hot Hand wires?
The stock connector is "Accessory Wire Harness PN: 08A30-MEW-100 List Price: $14.95" I would buy one of those and just modify it to attach your grips. That way you do need to mess with the main wiring harness or have to try to match connectors.... Google the Part Number and buy it online and you can avoid a trip to your stealership...

2. Where kind I get them.
If you don't get the Harness listed above Fry's has a very good selection of OEM style connectors. If not NAPA should be able to find some...

Also I need to upgrade the fuse from 3 to 5. Can I get a fuse from Auto parts place or my Stealership only.
The OEM fuses used in the NT are standard "Mini ATO" plug in fuses. You need 10, 20, and 30AMP spare fuses. Go to any automotive parts store and get a spare fuse kit, for around $5 to $7, and you'll be covered...

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Thanks Wayne. I leaning on purchasing this harness to connect to the "options harness" in the left pocket area, BUT I'm having trouble finding this harness. In a picture manual for the Honda Accessories Plug, it pictures the options harness dangling down neatly from a rubber umbrella protector. Of course on my bike it's not hanging down. I figure that it's been shoved up in the rubber umbrella. I tugged gently on some wires seeing if something would pull out but alas the force that I was willing to use(fear of damage) was not enough to loose anything. Need some direction and confidence boosting to find and free this socket to plug in the part that you mention.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Ah, a better angle on the flashlight revealed it, taped to the mainline electrical line before it went through the rubber umbrella thingy. Good thing I didn't pull hard on the connections in the umbrella! I'm going to order Accessory Harness.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Ok, I've received Honda Accessory Wire Harness PN: 08A30-MEW-100 today in the mail. It has a female 3 position Sumitomo 110 connnector with green, red/black, and yellow/back wires attached. At present, I have Oxford Hot Hands connected directly to the battery that I would like to connect to this sub harness to have a switched circuit so I don't have to worry about leaving it on or having someone flip the switch while the bike is parked.

I plan to order a male 3 position sumitomo connector but the Hot Hands only have two wires... positive and negative. My question is how do you connect 2 wires to the the 3 wire female connector described above. The green is obviously the ground, but which(red/black or yellow/black) do I connect the hot/positive wire to? Help!?!? Or am I going down a completely wrong path? Thanks.

elizilla

I haven't got that connector and I've never examined it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the three pins are always-hot, switched-hot, and ground. Get out your multimeter and measure them, and educate us all! :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Herb,

Honda has a nasty habit of changing color codes when going through a connector. My schematic shows a four position connector on the "bike" side for the "option" connector, please confirm your cable is a four feeding to a three...

On the four pin connector or the "bike" side the color code is:

Green = Ground

Black / Yellow = Fuse Box "A" Fuse Position Five Accessory Switched Power

By following those two wires through the bike side connector you should have your Ground and Accessory Switched Power 10 Amp feed for your grips. Please check this with a voltmeter and confirm it, by pulling Fuse Five, before proceeding...

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I've done home electrical but never vehicle. The picture of how to proceed is coming into view. I just ordered the Sumito 110 connector from Eastern Beaver Electic.

I'll do the multimeter test to confirm the Honda manual color coding. Now I just need confirmation of the next step. When the three position male connector arrives, I connect the +(pos) hot hand wire to the switched wire(presumably yellow/black) and -(neg) hot hand wire to the green wire connector and then plug up the unused 3 position receptical and then connect male to female and Viola! Right? thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
With a snow day, I got my male Sumitomo connector wired to my Oxford Hands and connected it to my new Honda accessory harness. The hardest part of the job was getting the protective cap off the existing accessory wiring so I could attach the harness behind the left hand fairing pocket. Not much room to get both hands in there. Had to loosen stuff. Good news..... It worked and I now have my Oxford Hot Hands switched so I won't drain the battery like I did last week when I forgot to turn off the Hot Hands Switch. Now key turned off Hot Hands are off! Tanks for the help!

Top Bottom