Continental ContiMotion Tires

Hey all. I'm not familiar with these tires, but have liked Continental tires in the past. I got them for about $200 a set shipped free on RevZilla. Too soon to tell if I like them, but better than the old square tires that my new to me NT came with. Below is my brief synopsis of my first ride on them, copied from a thread on the ST forum:

Spooned the ContiMotions on today. Whoever OK'd having to take off 3/4 of the exhaust and the giant rear fender to get the rear wheel off, not so great.

The Conti Motions went on really, really easy. First bead popped over, second bead a minute with one iron. I added no weight, and they feel ok. Front maybe a hair out of balance at 40-50, but it felt the same on the old tire. Maybe a different issue? Handling is drastically improved, and the Contis are a nice compromise between stability and falling in. It's hard to judge overall grip. I ran the NT's recommended 36/42, and took it easy for the first 20 miles or so. It was low 40s and damp out, with the majority of the road surface mostly dry with fairly frequent wet spots and puddles. I had a couple front chatters over sneaky individual quarter sized rocks on smooth blacktop, and one little front push leaned over pretty hard on good but damp blacktop. That slide may have been the first time that that portion of the tire had ever rolled over the road.

Once, I was hard on the brakes coming into a corner and felt the back squirm a little, no abs activation.

Overall they felt good, especially for the price. I'm hoping once they have a few miles on them and it warms up (next year) that they will feel and stick well.

To put into perspective, upon returning, 60 miles total, I had 1/4" of chicken strip on both sides of the front, 1/4" or less on the rear right, and none on the rear left.

I will say that I don't think the T31s or T32s I have run recently would have pushed the front. But hopefully the Contis will break in a little better (or at least wear well).

I do wonder if my pressures were a bit high for the ambient temp + moisture. I've settled on 3 lbs low front, one pound low rear on my ST1300 to get acceptable traction at the limit, and that's using more premium tires.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I am a big fan of Conti Motions....great bang for the buck. I replaced the T-31's on my NT with Conti's. They have a more rounded profile than most of the common tires used on the NT. That makes for quicker handling, but a little more nervous at high speeds. I have them on other bikes, and have been very impressed with their ability to handle standing water. I doubt there is another tire at that price that will out perform them.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Another fan of Conti tires here, they worked great on my NT, never had a better tire on the bike.

I've also got them on my Accord, turns out their car tires are just as good. I'm sold!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm happy with the Dunlops on the bike, but based on reviews, I'm seriously looking at Conti's for the Miata.

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I'm using the Conti Pure Contact LS tires, good handling and long life.
My Civic came with ContiProContacts. Like a lot of original equipment tires, they were made with soft rubber and a shallow tread. Not the same as the tire you buy in the after market. They lasted 20K miles. I will replace them with a General tire, which are made by Continental in Germany. I have used the General RT series summer tires and the General Altimax Arctic winter tires. Both are excellent. The Altimax Arctic tires on our CR-V, handle and steer better than the Bridgestone summer tires it came with. They are also quieter.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Whoever OK'd having to take off 3/4 of the exhaust and the giant rear fender to get the rear wheel off, not so great.
Contrary to what the service manual says, you don't need to take the exhaust off the NT to change the rear tire. Source: I've done half a dozen tire changes on the NT. The rear caliper stop bolt will clear the caliper enough if you back it out enough to touch the muffler. There's no getting around the rear fender though, unless you have a table lift with a drop out panel.

OP
OP
Cincykz
That's good information, thanks. It makes me nervous removing exhausts, I feel like you only get so many reps before stuff starts breaking or leaking.

I found the Altimax Arctic studded of about fifteen years ago to be the most impressive traction tire I've ever ran.

Bike
2010 NT700V
That's good information, thanks. It makes me nervous removing exhausts, I feel like you only get so many reps before stuff starts breaking or leaking.

I found the Altimax Arctic studded of about fifteen years ago to be the most impressive traction tire I've ever ran.
If you want to make a muffler-intact tire change easier, get a 27mm axle wrench you can pass a ratchet through.

I have a Cruz Tools combo axle wrench. https://www.amazon.com/Cruztools-AW142227-14mm-Combo-Wrench/dp/B005U80C0K/

I'll put the 27mm end on the axle nut, then using a 14mm hex end socket on a ratchet, I'll pass the 14mm hex through the 14mm opening on the axle wrench. A torque wrench extension formula can calculate proper torque.

torque1.jpg

Another option is the Laser Tools model 7343 (UK) 27 mm brake caliper wrench. It has a torque extension formula etched directly on it and has an opening to accept a 3/4" drive ratchet.

Top Bottom