Contour ROAN2

I just bought the Contour because I wasn't happy with the GoPro. The buttons to operate it were so small on the GoPro that I was never sure I had started the recording. The Contour has a slide that turns the camera on and starts the recording. There are some downsides to this camera. Unlike the GoPro you can't switch between still shots and video on the camera. You have to do it while its hooked up to your computer. There is no screen to ensure you've got it aligned the way you want it. For me these aren't major problems as I didn't shoot still shots with my GoPro either and, as you can see in this example, aligning the camera wasn't all that hard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97508083@N05/10074188385/lightbox/

You are supposed to be able to download a program called Storyteller from the contour website that will allow you to change the settings on the camera but so far I can't seem to get that to work. I sent an e-mail to contour describing the problem and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I won't bother with the detailed specs on the camera, they are out there if you are interested.

So far it seems to be answer my needs. I'll update this as I get more experience with the camera.

Also, the sound on the video is all wind noise. Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing wind noise on this kind of set up?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: Contour ROAN2 Review

Cnile, when I tried to go to Flicker to watch your video, I was told that it was a private page and I didn't have permission to view it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Hey, I think that worked pretty good. Good video. I have no idea of what to do about the wind noise. I just muted your sound. Where you holding it in hand on the ones where we could see your face (sort of)? And was it mounted on your helmet or your shoulder for most of the video?

OP
OP
Cnille

Actually I have a RAM mount mounted on the brake resavour (sp) and I can turn the camera to look to the side or to the rear.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

OK...well, whatever, it works very well.

bicyclist

I sent an e-mail to contour describing the problem and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Good luck, they've gone out of business. The Roam is an orphan.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V

Jeez George, it's like you're eager to tell him there is no hope.

But of course there is...

Here is a link for you Barry: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2xc88w7a3hm3l1/V_fg3zDQdw

Googled that software and found a thread on the ADV Rider forums from someone who ran into the exact issue you did. Someone replied giving this link where it is in a (currently) open dropbox folder so I'd grab it quick!

OP
OP
Cnille

Thanks, I found this link also and now have the Storyteller software and the firmware upgrade..

Bike
2010 Silver NT700

I too like that angle - you can see the road, the rear view mirror - and watch the tach as you wind through the gears.

By the way - envy your scenery. Nothing like that here in deep south Texas.

OP
OP
Cnille

I too like that angle - you can see the road, the rear view mirror - and watch the tach as you wind through the gears.

By the way - envy your scenery. Nothing like that here in deep south Texas.
That was shot at 720 and 170 degree image. Tomorrow I'm going to try 1080 at 125 degrees. This should improve the quality of the image but narrow it at the same time. I'll let you know when I've got the new video uploaded. I keep wanting to call this a film. Does that make me old?

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
More competition is good.. Look at how much extra Go-Pro charge to cover sponsoring all those events.. Garmin is also pushing the Virb pretty hard - hopefully it will al be reflected in lower prices.

Top Bottom