CooCase Update

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had my CooCase Astra 48-liter topcase for about 18 months and 27,000 miles and I've been mostly happy with it...till yesterday.

I was moving the bike and pushed on the front of the case and it lifted up from the rack. I pulled it off and found a crack in the bottom half of the case just above the three tabs that locate the case on the rack.

I emailed Twisted Throttle and asked if there was any warranty this far out from the purchase, pointing out to them that I had spent more than a little bit of money with them and assuring them that I was unhappy (at the momemt) with CooCase, not with Twisted Throttle.

I rode about 180 miles today, with my Kindle (and its more-valuable assortment of books) and my new $6000 hearing aids in the trunk. I was meeting my buddy for lunch and told him about the crack. He wanted to see it and felt as if it wouldn't be too much trouble to repair if no one stood behind the product.

I rode home, came in and checked my email, finiding the assurance from Twisted Throttle that the CooCase has a 3-year warranty, and asking that I send some pix so they could expedite the replacement.

I went out to the garage, pulled the CooCase and found that the crack had expanded and there was a chunk missing out of the bottom...including the three locator tabs. Fortunately, the liner had contained my hearing aids and my Kindle.

Here are pix of the CooCase. For now, thumbs down to CooCase -- my Givi E-46 lasted 11 years and survived a crash that totaled Tumbleweed, my first Connie. It didn't look great, but it was still water-tight and worked like you want luggage to work. I may see if I can apply the money it would take to buiy a new CooCase to the purchase of a Givi instead. Here are the pix:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
John,
Thank you for that idea. I don't have a top box, but do have a MoTech luggage rack that installs on three quick locks. A security bolt would certainly avoid my duffel bag and rack bouncing down the highway.
Phil,
If Twisted sends you a new case, that would probably solve the problem along with John's suggestion. Of course some people would say that such a bolt would defeat the quick on and off feature. It would only amount to another step--which I could live with.

elizilla

I have complete confidence in my Givi cases, their latching mechanism, and the plastic they are made of. That's after a couple hundred thousand miles with the same cases on a variety of bikes and racks, a couple of drops, and a crash where the bike slid down the road on a case. I'm not planning to add any extra bolts and wingnuts.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I don't have a topcase, but do have a MoTech Luggage Rack. The rack is affixed with three quick releases. They are put on and taken off by a half turn with a large blade screwdriver. It feels pretty solid, but those quick pins look a bit small for the job they have to do. I may get a top case in the future, and if I do, it will be a GIVI.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
YIKES! I'll have to go out and check mine to see if it's cracking. I have noticed a bit more movement in the latch mechanism lately. I'll let you know.

Paul, the movement I had wasn't in the latch mechanism. That worked great and held the box on even after the bottom fell out. The movement was at the front of the box.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was happy with the CooCase....until yesterday. I'll take another one and give it an extensive road test. I don't think I'll add any additional nuts and bolts. If this one doesn't last, the next one will be a Givi.

Again, a big thumbs up to Twisted Throttle and their customer service.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Again, thanks to Twisted Throttle. I just sent them the picture of the production stamp. I'd been a bit worried that it might have been on the part of the case that broke off and went flying in the wind somewhere between Limon and Fort Morgan, CO! But it wasn't...it was right in the middle of the inside of the case. Looks like mine was made in July of '08.

Kevin had also pointed out to me that I've dropped the bike more than once. I won't be as rude as he was and emphasize the number of drops. :) But I will confess to having dropped it "more than once." But like I told him, I had a Givi on my two Concours for 11 years, dropped them way more than I've dropped the NT, and totaled one of the bikes after doing an "endo" on it. The Givi looks like heck, but, according to the current owner of my old Connie, it's still doing fine. And I haven't dropped the NT when the top case has been loaded. It's never touched the ground in any of my drops, so I don't really think that drops were the issue.

It's good to know that CooCase is working to improve their product. I'm anxious to get my next one and get it mounted. I miss it!

Two thumbs up to Twisted Throttle for outstanding customer service and a thumbs up to CooCase for product improvement.

subgenius

<A LITTLE OFF TOPIC>
WRT Twisted Throttle: yes, they do provide GREAT customer service/support (and, no, I won't say how I know :p).
</A LITTLE OFF TOPIC>

I've been a little disappointed in the quality of Givi "stuff" recently (i.e., cracked cosmetic plastic, nuts/bolts that don't line up properly, contact points that become loose, etc...) and almost went with "Coo" when planning out my top case for the NT. I think I mentioned this in another thread, so I won't go into detail, but it got to the point that I recently replaced the Givi adapter with a much easier-to-install (and better, IMHO, made/designed) SW Motech mounting plate/adapter. Kinda wishing I'd gone with the Coo Case for the top case too (oh well).

I'll be watching this thread with interest :bigpop:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Twisted Throttle Customer Service Update:

Less than two hours after sending a picture of the production date stamp in the bottom of my broken CooCase, I received a notice from Twisted Throttle that the Warranty Replacement case is on its way!

Wow! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Top Bottom