cooling system

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yes, I have, works just like automotive, sucks it in when low, or pushes back in bottle when hot

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
What I wonder is this: While my bike operates at normal temps, it seems like there should be at least some fluid in the overflow reservoir, even at rest.
Am I wrong?
Its bone dry right now

Thoughts?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
There is a min and max line on the reservoir. Yes there should always be fluid up to the min line.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Clay,
There is a Min and a Max line on the overflow tank, the coolant level should be in between. You may have a leak. If you do it could be in the overflow system or the main coolant system. With the engine cool I would open the main coolant pressure cap to check. It should be all the way up to the top of the filler neck.

Brad

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
There is a Min and a Max line on the overflow tank, the coolant level should be in between. You may have a leak. If you do it could be in the overflow system or the main coolant system. With the engine cool I would open the main coolant pressure cap to check. It should be all the way up to the top of the filler neck.
Sorry to nickel and dime
DO i have to buy special coolant for the bike? Can I use automotive coolant?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe its a type 2 non silicate fluid. I bought Honda brand in a bottle at the Honda dealer. It was ready to add and did not need to be mixed with water

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I believe its a type 2 non silicate fluid. I bought Honda brand in a bottle at the Honda dealer. It was ready to add and did not need to be mixed with water
I'm with Warren -- no more coolant than the NT needs, it's simple and easy to just buy the Honda pre-mixed stuff.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Sorry to nickel and dime
DO i have to buy special coolant for the bike? Can I use automotive coolant?
You can use any Silicate Free prediluted 50/50 coolant available anywhere.

I use Peak brand antifreeze as it meets at the manufacturer's recommended specifications from the shop manual.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The coolant is also available at O'Reilly since yer gonna be there picking up a bulb anyway. You want to look for Zerex Asian Blue (not red). The drawback is that it is only available in gallons. It is pre-diluted and ready to dump in. One gallon is probably just as cheap as the Honda quarts and is made to the same spec. The trick is getting it into the tank. A turkey baster is helpful for this.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
What I wonder is this: While my bike operates at normal temps, it seems like there should be at least some fluid in the overflow reservoir, even at rest.
Am I wrong?
Its bone dry right now

Thoughts?
Fill the reservoir bottle to the "MAX" line and keep a watch on the level after your first ride. Add to it as the tank level drops. Filling the reservoir bottle is a bit of a challenge without removing the right body panel entirely or removing a couple of the panel bolts to move it a bit out of the way. If you are going that far of removing the entire body panel, you might as well open the radiator and top it off while you're in there.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
BTW

I am in the automotive refinish business and was introduced to a product for restoring the black plastics on my NT. I will give a review when I am done.

The product is from Car Systems and the P/N is VOS151.071 Its a clear that will restore the black. I have already put a coat or two on the parts and I think will be happy with the reuslts

Top Bottom