[Review] Cortech Dryver Tank Bag

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As I posted earlier, I installed the Cortech Dryver tank bag this weekend on Scoot in preparation for our trip next month to TN/NC/VA. At Phil's insistence, took some pix of the bag and mounting to share with y'all... please be patient as this is my first attempt at a review and posting pix to the forum.

Firstly, the Cortech Dryver tank bag is made of a molded 600 denier Carbolex fabric. It appears that during manufacture they have impregnated the fabric with a resin that "forms" the product to its finished shape. This formed construction IMHO lends a more finished appearance to the bag when it is installed on the bike. It also makes the fabric impermeable to water thus keeping your contents high and dry. The bag is mounted on an adjustable slider base that effectively keeps the bag from coming in contact with the tank so that will keep your (faster) red paint from becoming scratched! The tank ring is made from a fiberglass reinforced plastic that appears quite tough. It is mounted directly over the fuel fill cap using the existing mounting holes. New longer mounting screws are furnished with the mounting ring which must be ordered separately from the bag itself. The install went off without a hitch and took a little less than 30 minutes. It would have been more like fifteen minutes but the installation illustrations were not very clear (at least to me). Once the mounting ring is installed, the companion ring must be installed on the adjustable base plate on the bottom of the bag. Cortech thoughtfully provided Nylok mounting nuts for this which will keep things from becoming loose miles down the road. Once both rings are installed, the fore and aft placement must be adjusted to your bike and your preference, then the Nylok nuts are snugged down. Installation of the bag on your bike is just a metter of placing the pag on the mounting ring and rotating the bag about 30 degrees clockwise 'til a nice secure thud is felt which indicates that the mounting lugs have over-centered and are secure. Removal is the reverse. No safety strap is provided with this bag and I don't really think one is needed as the bag locks very securely into position.

The bag is offered in two sizes, small 11.5"L x 10"W x 6"H, or medium 15"L x 11.5"W x 7.5"H. The small bag has a rated carrying capacity of 5 lbs (3.8L), and the medium bag is rated at 8 lbs (9.4L). I selected the medium bag for my bike.

The top mount map pocket is easily removeable and both a GPS mount and a top mounted organizer bag are offered as options.

The main compartment is sealed and secured by a clever waterproof zipper arrangement. I have yet to test the bag in the rain so I cannot personally attest to its effectiveness.

The quality of construction and the appearance of the bag are typical Tourmaster/Cortech, superb! I am anxiously awaiting May when I can put this bag to a REAL road test!

Complete View

The top cover/map case is held closed by magnetic buttons sewn in the bag body and cover flap. The carrying handle is also held up away from the tank by a magnetic catch

The interior has a divider and is lined with a tricot fabric to protect your belongings

The bag is furnished with a shoulder strap for convenient toting off the bike. These are the attachment points for the shoulder strap.

An optional GPS mounting bracket and waterproof case is available for this bag. The are the mounting tabs in the front of the bag if you choose this option

The top of the bag map pocket with sample map in place.

This is the clever waterproof zipper. I can't attest to its effectiveness yet but from appearances it looks like to would seal quite well.

This is the mounting ring that attaches to tour fuel tank. It is an easy on/off affair, once installed. It take but a moment to remove for fuel fills.

The underside of the bag shows the companion mouting ring installed. This is adjusted for my bike which has no bar risers. With the stock bars and the bag mount adjusted to this position, there is no intereference with the bars or switch gear. You can see that there is still some adjustment left in the mount, which "may" accomodate those with bar risers or non-stock bars. YMMV

Here's what it looks like installed on my bike.

Here is how the bag appears to the rider while seated on the bike. For me it does not interfere in any way with my vision or operability of the controls

So, there you have it. I hope this review will help others who may be considering this bag. I will report back on its utility when I return from my long ride.

Many, many thanks to Rick for walking me thru the process of posting these pics.

Mike

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Great review! Thanks.

Now. Where are the pictures. :-(

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Great review! Thanks.

Now. Where are the pictures. :-(

I still haven't figgered the picture thing out! I try to import 'em from my computer... no joy... so I download one to photbucket and try that approach... again, no joy. I'm doing somthing wrong, no doubt, but I haven't figured out what it is. I spent about a half hour yesterday taking some dandy pix that show the details of the products but until I figger the system out, you will have to use yer imagination.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just what I was going to suggest -- that you talk to Rick (not that you call me or that I call you. I've got unlimited cell time too, but I couldn't talk you through anything on the computer).

Rick, in a similar context, I got an email from Aaron Black this morning wanting to know if he could upload pix from his cell phone. I didn't know the answer to that and told him I'd ask. Consider yourself asked. :)

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I dont understand why u would go thru.so much trouble for a bag that is virtually useless as far as storing essential things. I mean what do u put in a tank bag that u coildn't put in the little compartments? Just sayin...and i can imagine what they soaked u for that...bet it was $79 bucks or more. Lol
You are aboslutely correct.. it is a small bag, but it's 9.4L more storage than I had before... it all adds up. You farkle yours your way, I'll farkle mine MY way... thank you very much...

:nanana1:

;^)

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Aaron, I carry all sorts of stuff in my tank bag. My Bags Connection City Bag carries a thermal cup for coffee while I ride, a 2-liter water bladder, munchies, waterproof glove covers, my tank bag cover, an LED headlamp, ear plugs, ibuprofen, garage door opener, and whatever else I think of. After riding for 15 years, I love having a roomy tank bag.

Now, that's for road trips. For around town, I use my DayPack 2 (also from Bags Connection) and carry waterproof glove covers, the bag cover, an LED headlamp, ibuprofen, ear plugs, and my garage door opener. And sometimes some other stuff...

When I'm making a run to the post office if I'm not wearing my 'Stitch (and I often wear just a jacket around town), mail goes in the DayPack 2. The plug for my heated jacket sticks into the tank bag of choice unless it's in the middle of suimmer and I know I won't be needing it.

I couldn't get much of that stuff into the fairing pockets because I've already got stuff in them: Left pocket, registration, insurance papers, owners manual, and spare glasses. Right pocket, tire gauge, LED flashlight, an electical junction box cover with about 5' of twine to put under the sidestand when I'm parked on soft stuff, a multi-size folding Allen wrench, extra ear plugs.

I just bought Walmarts expandable magnetic $35 tank bag and used it on my three day ride to the Snake (RT 421). It was great. It was able to hold a bunch of stuff, including both my GoPro and Powershot cameras.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't have any trouble with either the City Bag or the Daypack interfering with the handlebars. Be careful to attach the tank connector as far to the front of the bags as possible to maximize clearance. I did occasionally turn on/off my Denali driving lights and my heated handgrips before I figured out I could bend the brackets and (mostly) eliminate that.

Yes, you do have to remove them to fill the tank, but that's no big deal with either one of the Bags Connection bags and it wouldn't be with the Givi tank bag either. Doubt it if would be with the Cortech Dryver.

tawilke46

I have a Bags Connection "Vina" tank bag. Works very well on the NT. Can see pictures in some of my albums on this site.

Top Bottom