Could it be electrical?

Hello! So l own a NT650V from 2001.Started having loss of power until one cylinder quit working completely,changed the spark plugs it was like new then in 2 months same thing happened,gradual loss of power until the cilinder stopped working(same cilinder).Pulled out the spark plugs and they're soaked in gasoline.I was wondering if it could be the ignition coil or something else?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Pulled out the spark plugs and they're soaked in gasoline.I was wondering if it could be the ignition coil or something else?
That is a sign that is no spark present. There is also the possibility that the carburetor feeding that cylinder has an issue and sends too much fuel into that cylinder.

You should check the engine oil to see if it smells like gasoline or petrol. This would be a sign of a bigger problem.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Take out both spark plugs. Reattach the spark plug wire that runs from the ignition coil to the plug. Hold the spark plug wire, hit the starter button, and touch the spark plug end to a metal part of the bike. You should see a spark jump from the plug to the metal part. If not, you have a failed ignition coil or discontinuous spark plug wire.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Spark plug caps, which are known to be a problem with the NT, are not expensive and would be a good thing to change. Over time, the resistors in them give out. Usually starts acting up after the bike gets warmed up however can just fail.

OP
OP
And the cilinder starts working if l go at high rpms(about 6000-6500)for a period of time.I haven't noitced the oil to smell like gasoline or stuff like that.I already bought replacement ignition coild but was wondering if l should check something else as well.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Don't overlook the plug wires too, on this bike they are solid core wires, the wires can develop cracks in the insulation and the high voltage leaks to ground instead of firing the plug. You may be able to spot the high voltage leaks by running the bike outside in the dark.

Typically on Honda motorcycles of this vintage, the wires screw into the coil, engaging a threaded pin at the coil output. A quick web search turned up this wire available in bulk.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Spark plug caps !
If you have access to an ohmmeter, you can check the resistance of the plug caps, I believe the standard resistance on the NT is 5k ohms but don't quote me on that. Some NGK caps have the resistance printed on them.

If you purchase new ones, you could compare reading old vs new. The exact reading is not of utmost importance, mostly you would hope to find one very high, for example 20k or more on the suspect cylinder, essentially confirming your diagnosis.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 silver NT700
Running some fuel injector cleaner through the engine may be a good idea. You could possibly have a sticking injector on that cylinder.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the flooding is confined to one cylinder, a carb could have a float sticking.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Carb floats can be tricky like anything. I had a Kawasaki Concours that had float issues. The float on that was split with 2 separate floats, one on each side of float needle. One float floated and one side sank. It took me a while to find that but it was quite obvious when I set the floats in a can of gasoline.

Arknt

Edit: I think this was on a Yamaha 750 Virago, not the Kawasaki Concours.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Some Honda floats from the 80s (?) were molded of a plastic-like material that sometimes soaked-up gasoline with age so they did the opposite of float - they sank!

Top Bottom