Could'a....Would'a....Shouldn't'a...Didn't -- Whew!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was planning on my first March ride today. I had gone with Joanne to a medical test she had this morning and by the time we got back to the house, the temperature was up to 56F and heading higher. I didn't think I wanted to get up into the twisties until there's been enough time for the sand and gravel and patches of snow to get off the mountain roads.

And since I'm weird enough to enjoy the plains, I figured a loop from Greeley to Fort Morgan, then north on CO-52, east on CO-14 to CO-71 until it turns into NE-71, then turn west in Kimball, NE, onto a remnant of the original Lincoln Highway (US-30) past the Oliver Reservoir State Recreational Area, through the slowly-dying little burg of Bushnell and then into Pine Bluffs, WY, before turning south past Carpenter, WY, and back to Hereford, CO. Then it would be back home through Briggsdale and Lucerne. All in all, a pleasant 247-mile ride on a nice day.

So I suited up, pushed the bike out of the garage and realized it wasn't rolling very well. About that time, my TPM system kicked in … flashing red! My rear tire had 6psi. Well, PHOOEY!! I didn't really feel like messing with plugging a tire, and I needed to home close to 5PM so I could go on call for Hospice. I bagged the whole ride.

I helped Joanne with a few chores around the house and then went back out into the garage and slapped my mini air compressor onto the bike and pumped It up, thinking I'd go ahead and get the bike onto the centerstand and start looking for the nail in the tire. When I got to 43psi and pulled the hose off, I could hear the leak. Then I could feel it -- it was the valve stem. I screwed the stem insert back in, and pumped the tire back up from the 30psi and it's still holding air. Easiest flat fix ever!

Tonight we were watching the Denver weather news and heard that trucks had been blowing off of I-80 in south-eastern Wyoming. 60-70mph gusts. I don't mind riding in wind, but that's probably outside my comfort zone by at least 15-20mph. :cool:

Warm weather may leave tomorrow, and I've got to work for the Hospice tomorrow and Friday till about 1PM, so I don't know if I'll get to ride this week.

BUT … next week will have another hour of daylight with the time change, so I'll get that first March ride in soon.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Too bad about discovering a flat rear tire at the last moment but perhaps it should be viewed as a good thing because it kept you off the road!

I got in another ride with friends yesterday. One of the guys showed up at the meeting point in his Chevy pickup, showing us the weather map on his iPhone. Yup, it was completely green but I mentioned that it often is and hardly any rain hits the ground. We took off with the pickup in sag wagon position at the rear - this was a first for us! - and had a few extremely light sprinkles during the first half hour then nothing. It wasn't enough to even require that I wipe my helmet visor.

After lunch at a Mexican eatery, we came outside to blue skies and lots of sun. The wind was blowing in spots but it certainly looked and felt like spring!

Deb & I are meeting WVRider (Duane) in the town of Logan next week to discuss his plans for the routes to be used during the NT Gathering. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
DirtFlier wrote: "Deb & I are meeting WVRider (Duane) in the town of Logan next week to discuss his plans for the routes to be used during the NT Gathering. :) "

I'm really looking forward to riding those routes!

Top Bottom