Counter Steering & Lean Angle - Video - Ryan F9 (Fort Nine)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Keith Code at one of this schools had an interesting prop to teach countersteering.

For the non-belivers in countersteering, he had a special bike for them to ride. It was a similar model to his other school bikes except it had a 2nd set of handlebars/w controls that were frame-mounted above the normal handlebars. The frame mounting meant the bars couldn't change the angle of the front wheel. The non-believers were asked to ride out to a point and make that bike go around the pylons and none of them could make it go around the pylons!

He called it his "No BS bike." :)

ps. sometimes when you're leaning and think you're not countersteering, you are!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Objection:
you'll counter-lean only during slow speed, narrow maneuvers (or obstacle avoidance) like tight back-sweeps, parkinglot U-turns, or alike; in fast turns you'd waste ground clearance and drag bike parts earlier (hence risk a low-sider) then required while leaning with the bike (or hangoff, which has no business in street riding...)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Ride within the conditions of the road and use the appropriate steering/lean ratio. Many of us here have been riding for several decades and this should be instinctive.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Rather attend some annual safety trainings, as one tends to build up some bad habits over the years/mileage that require adjustment... šŸ˜
Due to COVID in SoCal most classes were canceled or reduced class sizes that fill up quickly.

I have moved to watching videos on YouTube to sharpen my skills via that platform. It helped me significantly.

Jumping back into traditional motorcycling from the scooter world, I am also drawn toward riding tips videos. Some are crap but most underscore my weaknesses and provide some useful tips and practice skills. For those thinking, ā€œriding is riding whether itā€™s a scooter or motorcycleā€, true butā€¦ weights, balance, hand/eye/foot coordination are very different.

I like Ryan Fortnineā€™s videos for their content, humor, and near flawless delivery. Whether anyone agrees with this video or not, one significant outcome from it is that he got people thinking about how they ride. Remembering to think is the #1 safety skill.

Top Bottom