CRF300L Rally - Africa Single?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
After waiting for the new bike to arrive since February, I finally picked up my new wheels in Albuquerque.

The CRF300L Rally is an updated version of the very popular CRF250L Rally, sold in the USA since 2012. A longer stroke engine, more fuel capacity, better braking, and more info on the dash are a few of the changes.

But, is it really an “Africa Single”? We shall find out. I plan to ride it to Spearfish in less than a month, however no plans for a “round the world” trip. I may not be able to haul camping gear this time, so hotels and camping cabins will be on the menu.

The progression of my bikes starting in 2012 with the NT700, has declined steadily in both displacement and weight over the past 8 years, including Suzuki Burgman 650 and 400, and most recently my Honda CB500X. I really prefer lighter weight, more agile bikes. Improved fuel economy is a big plus, and the CRF300L Rally is predicted to get mid-70’s mpg. It is capable of 65-75 mph cruising speed, which is exactly how I roll.

More info to come as I add a few farkles to suit my needs.
9CE9CC28-32CD-4F74-BF98-60FABAC0E20B.jpeg

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil, it measures a whopping 35.2 inches.
BUT, the back sags enough under my weight to allow both feet flat on the ground with my 32” inseam. All I have to do is get my leg over it!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Probably the ever-constant pull of gravity and erosive effects of time. :-(

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The seat looks painful otherwise I am in agreement with downsizing. I now have two years on my XMAX which is a 300cc single that can cruise at 75, gets 65-85 mpg, 31.3” seat height, weighs 200 lbs less than my NT and does not have a chain.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
The seat looks painful otherwise I am in agreement with downsizing. I now have two years on my XMAX which is a 300cc single that can cruise at 75, gets 65-85 mpg, 31.3” seat height, weighs 200 lbs less than my NT and does not have a chain.
I am awaiting a new MOESOF seat to improve long distance comfort. It was a great improvement on my CB500X.

And, given a choice between a chain drive and a CVT belt, I would choose the chain for reliability and efficiency every time. YMMV.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I had a CBR250 for 5 years. I did a lot of 3-4 day trips on it. It was quite happy to do 70mph all day long. Head winds and uphills effected it marginally, but was only a consideration when passing. I have ridden the CBR300, and it had noticeably more torque and didn't require as much shifting. It was a bit more buzzy, probably due to the 8mm longer stroke. I really like the Rally, but the seat is just too high for me at my age.....so I opted for the Versys 300.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I really like the Rally, but the seat is just too high for me at my age.....so I opted for the Versys 300.
Hondafan, it must be nice to have such long legs. I can't get my leg over a Versys 300!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mine are 28. I've got my fingers crossed that I don't need any more knee replacements!

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Mine are 28. I've got my fingers crossed that I don't need any more knee replacements!
I think there is a limit of 6 per customer. :)
My riding buddy in Idaho had one done in November. He is back riding BDR's on his KLR. His other knee is bothering him now. Pretty amazing technology.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think there is a limit of 6 per customer. :)
My riding buddy in Idaho had one done in November. He is back riding BDR's on his KLR. His other knee is bothering him now. Pretty amazing technology.
There was a man in Ft Morgan who had replacements on one knee before the 7th one fixed him for a long time. I asked my doc after the 3rd left knee if I was out of options and he said, "No, but it gets more challenging."

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
I finally had the bike prepared to do a mixed ride of off-road and highway today.

I found a wide range of hard packed dirt, gravel, fine sand and ruts. Mostly forest service roads traveling through the nearby Cibola National Forest. Thankfully no mud today since we are still in an extreme drought.

Only 26 miles were on a local two lane asphalt paved highway, and 67 miles off road. Even though I am breaking it in, I was able to maintain the posted 65 mph speed limit against a brisk headwind on the road.

As a “dual sport” it lives up to its design goal. Not exemplary at either, but very capable at both. I was surprised at how well it performs on the highway- smooth engine, stable handling, and the knobbies are not noticeable.

It IS tall, but once in the saddle I don’t feel it. Fortunately, I didn’t dump it today to require a pick up solo.

The instantaneous readout showed 72 mpg upon returning home. Certainly acceptable for mixed use. I’ve read some others are getting even better fuel economy.

Looking forward to racking up the first 600 miles completing break-in, then change the oil before heading out to Spearfish. Following that, oil changes are every 8,000 miles, and the first valve check is at 16,000 miles. Best yet for any bike I have owned.

1622341601954.png

Sent from my iPhone1622341601954.png

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been thinking about this bike, but wanted more real world feedback. Not to mention I don't think any of my local dealers have one in stock.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been thinking about this bike, but wanted more real world feedback. Not to mention I don't think any of my local dealers have one in stock.
Kevin, it’s good to hear from you. I guess the CRF300L Rally would remind you some of your DR650 of a few years back. I considered buying the Suzuki, but the new Honda is about 30-40 pounds lighter. Not a huge amount, but every little bit helps.

If you’re going to Spearfish, I would be happy to let you ride it. I’m certain that YOU won’t have any trouble flat footing it, but the windshield may not be tall enough to give you much wind protection.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hi, Kevin!! It's been a long time since we've heard from you. I'm sending you a PM.

Top Bottom