Curious - question about brake lever

MCG

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I noticed this while out on a ride the other day. Why does the brake lever have a slit in it and the clutch lever does not? Has anybody else noticed this? Is it just me?
P1050189.jpg

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I was told it was the point where it could break in a fall and still leave you enough lever left to operate the brake.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I was told it was the point where it could break in a fall and still leave you enough lever left to operate the brake.
That's what I've heard as well. The major fallacy in that line of thought is not having a clutch makes a bike more useless then not having front brakes. Some non-OEM replacement lever sets for sport bikes I've seen do have both levers notched for break away.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
For the next quiz,
Why is the underside of the ball on the end of the front brake lever hollowed out but the clutch has a solid ball?

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
For the next quiz,
Why is the underside of the ball on the end of the front brake lever hollowed out but the clutch has a solid ball?

Brad
Seriously, my guess is that these were parts that were in their bins.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
For the next quiz,

Brad
Truth be told, we are not allowed to divulge to you this secret at this time. Judging by your posting history at 594, you are still classed as a advanced novice in the forum and this bit of info will not be revealed to you until you reach 750 posts and are considered an apprentice whereupon you will be taught the secret handshake as well. Once you reach a thousand posts, you are considered an advanced master and will be taught all the secrets of the forum and Phil will personally bestow upon you your very own decoder ring.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Once you reach a thousand posts, you are considered an advanced master and will be taught all the secrets of the forum and Phil will personally bestow upon you your very own decoder ring.
Uhh...yeah. What he said. Gotta' find a new source for decoder rings. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Does this post count toward becoming a Jedi Knight or whatever???

Chris
Well, <ahem!>, it "could" have, but you chose to join the dark side... now you will have to do some suitable penance or sumpin'

:spank1:

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I type slow.
I don't think I can ever catch you advanced posters.

Brad

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I checked and the real reason the ball end is hollow is that it is a secret hiding place for a micro-chip tracking device.
You put the chip in the hole and secure it in place with chewed bubble gum. It is sealed in place even through many high pressure car washes.

Brad

That's 2 more posts already.

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
Well my post count proves that I still use the advice once offered by my father:

It's better to keep you mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than open it and remove all doubt

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The hollow ball helps maintain the bike's great balance. Of course if you are a druggie, you could probably stash an "Oxy" in that crevice.

OP
OP

MCG

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Sorry. I've only had the bike since April. I should have searched for this before I asked. But, then I would have missed the entertainment that this new thread provided.

In talking with a friend, he had another explanation for why the brake lever has the notch and not the clutch - the clutch lever can be pulled fully to the grips but the brake cannot. Therefore, the brake lever is more likely to snap. But I still have no plausible explantion for why the ball on the end is hollowed out. For the visually impared?

Top Bottom