Custom Seat from Rich's

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I made an 800+ round trip from Spokane WA to Rich's Custom Seats on the west side of Puget Sound. The ride was great and more comfortable on the return (I will make a separate trip report).

I really like Rich and his well run business. He has a lot of referrals and repeat business, obviously a good reputation.
He asked what I wanted: 1.) I said no numb butt/n*tz. 2.) Seat lower for foot contact, if it would not compromise #1.
I said I wanted the typical modification for driver, gel pad, and optional leather cover.

The cost was $425 + $125 (Leather cover upgrade) + $47.30 (WA Sales Tax) = $597.30

The seat is custom fit to you. I was surprised to find that I am not symmetrical on the motorcycle (or perhaps physically). Rich says it is common and not difficult to deal with or even noticeable. The actual fit does not take long, but there are a series of steps and takes most of the day. At the end, they tell you to ride for 1,000 miles see if any adjustments are required.

My impressions. I was not the least bit sore after the 350 mile ride home. When I get on the motorcycle, I slip to the right position. The seat gives me more support now. I gained about 1/2 to 1 inch lower for more foot contact. Honda has a lot of foam on the seat and Rich does a lot of reshaping. Picture A shows my seat before gel pad insert and the final thin layer of smoothing foam and cover go on. B and c are side shots with the new leather cover. It is hard to see in the picture, but Rich used some matching silver thread. Notice how the seam lines match the MC design. I am short so the Pilon gained some seat real estate. You can see how you fit into the seat. My lower back does not touch the back of the seat as I lean forward.

Rich will give you a custom fit. I also recommend that you stay in one of his two rooms. One of his customers told me that he charges $50 per night and has a very nice suite. She also mentioned that since Rich is closed Sun & Mon, he is flexible about renting the extra nights (short vaca). There is plenty to do around his facilities and I had a good time talking motorcycles, etc with other customers.

If anyone is thinking of a custom fit seat and is within striking distance of the NW I would recommend you make a trip of it. This is a great area for riding. You can choose mountains, coast, islands (ferries load and unload motorcycles first), dry plains. Bring your passport and visit Victoria or Vancouver BC. Get a custom seat and break it in while you see the sights.

Rich's website:

http://www.richscustomseats.com/index.asp

I am happy to answer any questions.

Frosty

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
December is a slow time for Richs, so I called Tuesday at 8:30 am to see if they had time to get me in that day. They said "start riding" so being only 80 miles away, off I go. Sunny in December, with dry roads in western WA, its a beatiful day for a ride. I left the house at 9:30. Outside temperature.....25f. Nice!

Took about 4 hours for Richs to make the seat. My main complaint with the stock seat was the fidgety feeling I had, always repostioning myself. The rise in the seat was about 2" behind my rear end so I always rolling around on the seat. I was happy with the stock seat height. The new seat looks great....very similiar to the above pics. Added some red stitching for free. $50 off the normal price for winter special. Rich is a great guy, lots to talk about between fabricating the seat and the next measurement.

The seat made my bottom comfortable on the ride home, a very natural position for me. Good Stuff, thanks for review above Frosty, I didn't know Richs existed.

Hello Frosty. Congratulations on your seat. I've had my Rich's seat for about 6,000 miles or so. It does get better as it wears. I think Seattle Jim also has a Rich's seat. We could probably find all of the NT riders in Washington State by simply getting the names/addresses of the NT seats he's made.

Terry

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
My Goldwing got a Riches seat at about the 10,000 mile mark late summer of 2004, as of now 105,500 miles on odometer, = 95,000 miles of happy riding Many long days in all sorts of weather extreme hot & cold etc; including a BBG, Butt Burner Gold IBA certified over 1500 miles in under 24 hours elapse time done in Aug 2010. I was a little tired after that one however my butt was fine, no seat realated problems of any kind.

Bike
Hi Frosty,

I am now doing my serious home work, You say you are short, I am in that same situation 28 inchin-seam and 195 lbs, as i responded right after ou put up your post I am a well pleased customer but I questionwhether I am gong to gain a 1 inch dop inseat hi=eight and still maintain my comfort. If youi would share your in-seam adn weight it would sure be helpful.

Regards,
Eldon Cannon
Here is my email if you want to use it as it is quicker. ecannon@oregonsbest.com

I made an 800+ round trip from Spokane WA to Rich's Custom Seats on the west side of Puget Sound. The ride was great and more comfortable on the return (I will make a separate trip report).

I really like Rich and his well run business. He has a lot of referrals and repeat business, obviously a good reputation.
He asked what I wanted: 1.) I said no numb butt/n*tz. 2.) Seat lower for foot contact, if it would not compromise #1.
I said I wanted the typical modification for driver, gel pad, and optional leather cover.

The cost was $425 + $125 (Leather cover upgrade) + $47.30 (WA Sales Tax) = $597.30

The seat is custom fit to you. I was surprised to find that I am not symmetrical on the motorcycle (or perhaps physically). Rich says it is common and not difficult to deal with or even noticeable. The actual fit does not take long, but there are a series of steps and takes most of the day. At the end, they tell you to ride for 1,000 miles see if any adjustments are required.

My impressions. I was not the least bit sore after the 350 mile ride home. When I get on the motorcycle, I slip to the right position. The seat gives me more support now. I gained about 1/2 to 1 inch lower for more foot contact. Honda has a lot of foam on the seat and Rich does a lot of reshaping. Picture A shows my seat before gel pad insert and the final thin layer of smoothing foam and cover go on. B and c are side shots with the new leather cover. It is hard to see in the picture, but Rich used some matching silver thread. Notice how the seam lines match the MC design. I am short so the Pilon gained some seat real estate. You can see how you fit into the seat. My lower back does not touch the back of the seat as I lean forward.

Rich will give you a custom fit. I also recommend that you stay in one of his two rooms. One of his customers told me that he charges $50 per night and has a very nice suite. She also mentioned that since Rich is closed Sun & Mon, he is flexible about renting the extra nights (short vaca). There is plenty to do around his facilities and I had a good time talking motorcycles, etc with other customers.

If anyone is thinking of a custom fit seat and is within striking distance of the NW I would recommend you make a trip of it. This is a great area for riding. You can choose mountains, coast, islands (ferries load and unload motorcycles first), dry plains. Bring your passport and visit Victoria or Vancouver BC. Get a custom seat and break it in while you see the sights.

Rich's website:

http://www.richscustomseats.com/index.asp

I am happy to answer any questions.

Frosty

taldric

I've got a Rich's custom seat on my NT as well. Mostly comfortable. I find that after about 6 hours of riding my butt starts to hurt... But maybe I should take more rest stops! I keep debating about going back for an adjustment, which I know he does.

Bike
Tim,
I can say I never had a moment of complaint , or problem with my GL 1800 seat after rich did it, with 90,000 more or less It made a nice little ride from
Oregon to Denver with some detours to make it ovr 1500 miles in under 24 hours. I had no issues with the seat, I am just wondering about the lowering it a inch and question if too much padding has to be eliminated. I would say if it is not doing what you want it to do comfort wise you probably need to have him take a second look at it.

Top Bottom