Dashbaord Mount for 2 Devices

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
HI Everyone,

I am looking at options to mount 2 devices (simultaneously) on my dashboard - a GPS and my phone. Some thing similar to the attached pic.

May also be used to mount a front facing gopro.

I have read the forums and haven't seen anything like this , so looking for thoughts / ideas.

I thought of putting 2 RAM Mounts side-by-side, but that looks too many parts, holes.
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-RAP-B-138-UN7U-Composite-Surface-Universal/dp/B008JH0XH6/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=RAM+mount&qid=1550529901&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Note: i don't have any fabrication machines, so am limited to what is available off the shelf.

Note 2: I am not very confident opening up the bike, so looking for suggestions that need min alterations.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
You should probably get a LITTLE adventurous in learning how to disassemble your motorcycle, though. You may want to remove some plastic and route some power from the GPS up to a transformer in the glovebox, to power your GPS and/or cell phone and/or GoPro..... :)

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Take this suggestion with a pinch of salt, as I do not even own a motorcycle. I hope to utilise the two mounting bolts holding the front of the tank. The idea is to fashion a sheet of stainless steel to curve either backwards over the tank or over the ignition keyway. It may not be the best idea to dress handlebars like a Christmas tree. Both mass and wiring, to some degree, are likely to adversely affect steering.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never thought about using the gas tank mounting bolts as a place to mount brackets. Although not impossible, one of the hurdles is that when the bars swing side-to-side, so whatever you build from down there has to clear.

My GPS is bar-mounted and I have my Powerlet on a homemade bracket using a longer handlebar mounting bolt. The Powerlet is for my electric vest although it can also be used for phone charging, etc. There is also an analog temp gauge opposite the Powerlet on another handlebar bolt. I wish those analog gauges were still available because I want one for my other bike and detest those electronic things that have too many functions.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
P9030584.JPG

I've got my GPS on a RAM ball mounted to the clamp on the handlebars. I bought a new clamp with three holes for RAM mounts from Motorcycle Larry (RIP) when I bought his bar risers. I've also got a power outlet on that same clamp, but don't use it often. I don't use my phone when I'm riding. I use the hole on the clutch handle to mount my SPOT. You could use that location for your phone with a RAM mount. I like the GPS position because it's easy to see over my tank bag and beneath my instruments and easier to reach than if it was on top of the dash where I've seen some mounted.

I guess it's true that it adds some mass to the steering, but I can't imagine being able to detect that.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've got a similar set-up to Phils. I have my cup holder on the clutch lever ram ball, my GPS on a MC Larry handlebar ram ball and my Spot Tracker on a brake reservoir ram ball. Got no room fer nuffin' else.

Mike

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
BTW, the tenacity of the 3M dual lock is quite remarkable. Try removing your cowl pockets and you can see it in action. Mother Honda chose to use the stuff to hold the cowl pockets in place.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
You should probably get a LITTLE adventurous in learning how to disassemble your motorcycle, though. You may want to remove some plastic and route some power from the GPS up to a transformer in the glovebox, to power your GPS and/or cell phone and/or GoPro..... :)

I am sorry, I have to correct you. A transformer is an AC (Alternating Current) device, not a DC (Direct Current) Device.

What you are referring to is a DC to DC Converter, DC Power Converter or simply a DC power supply.

I used one similar to this unit available from Amazon. Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet

Be advised that connecting this unit directly to the battery will drain it in about day or 2. It should be connected to a circuit that is active with the ignition is on.

Top Bottom