Day trip to outer space - and back!

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
No, my bumper stickers don't read "My other vehicle is a space shuttle". I wish they did.

Today's ride was to the Very Large Array radio telescope, located in west central New Mexico. Built in 1980, the array of HUGE antenna dishes are spread out over thousands of acres of very remote land far from civilization. They are all movable (on twin railroad tracks) to different positions, where they are bolted down to concrete pads, and interconnected to create an array. Moving the antenna's produce a result similar to focusing a camera. Each antenna dish is 82 feet in diameter, and is connected to a central data processing facility operated by various university personnel. There is a waiting list years in advance to book time for research.

Some may remember the movie "Contact," filmed in 1996, which was shot mostly on site at the VLA. It was fiction, but in fact, the 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, listening process is used to map the solar system, and even listen for potential intelligent transmissions. No luck yet with SETI.

A sign posted in the visitor center advised to turn off all cell phones and other electronics. Digital cameras were exempt. The notice said that their equipment is so sensitive, that it could pick up a cell phone signal from Jupiter, 500 million miles away! I just wish my T-Mobile service were that good.

While walking around the base of the antenna's, there was a noticeable amount of noise. Signs say that this is from a motor-generator unit, and cryogenic device mounted on each antenna base.

My route from Albuquerque began southbound on I-25 to Socorro, then west on Hwy 60 to Magdalena. The VLA is about 25 miles west of Magdalena in the plains of San Augustin. 15 miles further west of the VLA is the tiny village of Datil, where I fueled up for the return trip home. Temp started out in the low 50's, and maxed out at 66 degrees. Light northerly winds were a non factor. The round trip totals are:

325 Miles
5.161 Gallons fuel
62.97 mpg

More info: http://www.vla.nrao.edu

Attachments

• DSC_0676.jpg
    DSC_0676.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0674.jpg
    DSC_0674.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0668.jpg
    DSC_0668.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0666.jpg
    DSC_0666.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0650.jpg
    DSC_0650.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0642.jpg
    DSC_0642.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0637.jpg
    DSC_0637.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0635.jpg
    DSC_0635.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0684.jpg
    DSC_0684.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0686.jpg
    DSC_0686.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You should visit the GRIN (Guzzi Riders in NM) rally in Datil in August every year. Almost half the bikes are non-Guzzi.

Yep on Trinity Site, several times. But, I worked at White Sands for 15 years and lived on base for 6 of those. I still visit when we have a test down there.

If you go through then be sure to visit White Sands. Alamogordo has a nice space museum too. I think the curator got his hands on one of the F-117 simulators too (the F-117's were based at Holloman, AFB near Alamo for many years). He's a good guy and was set up to let school kids play in it. If you want some nice roads go through the mountains just east of there, Lincoln Nat Forest and up to Ruidoso.

And on US380 there is a place called Valley of Fire. One of the exposed lava flows in NM. Another one near Gallup and one at Malapais Nat Mon.

If you stay in the western part of NM, eastern AZ then you owe it to yourself to hit US 199 from Alpine to Clifton. Kind of the Tail of the Dragon of the area, but, with littlt to no traffic on a weekday (schedule 3 hours for that 90 mile stretch). Or the roads in the Gila Nat Forest.

If in the northern part ride NM 4 and visit Los Alamos.

Losts to see on trips if you can take your time.

Clear Air - Clear Colors , very nice to see , and those silver orbs remind me of Tesla ,,

Comment on my previous comment. It was truly expressing how much I liked the photos and my appreciation for the landscape out west - me being a New Yorker . Since I don't listen to TV my awareness of local news is diff than most folks. Moments ago , heard tail end of a report about nuclear leakage somewhere and want to be clear if there is any coincidence it was not my intention to make a joke.. I ask for a pardon if it applies and that goes for anyone who was bothered by any of my comments - never intend to leverage a joke by intentionally stepping on toes. There are so many purporters pretending to be reporters that I''ve screened them :) carry on - and Ride Safe and Have Fun ..

No offense taken, or noted. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the pic's. New Mexico has a natural beauty that is SO different from any other place I have ever seen. It's not called the "Land of Enchantment" for nothing!
Rich

Very nice. Perhaps next winter I will go again to the southwest in Feb and escape the Spokane winter for a week...looks inviting...so much to see....

A lot of the country in the SW can be beautiful and eerie. Monument Valley, Shiprock, Sedona (before it became popular), Canyonlands, Grande Escalante, etc, etc And those don't even count the "big ones" like Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.

Beautiful scenery out there. I love riding out west with the big open spaces. The VLA is pretty impressive also! I'll have to put that on the list of things to check out when I'm next in the area.

For those of us that are not with the good fortune to live out west but are looking for a similar "close encounter" with techno-space gadgets, the Green Bank Telescope (GBT) in Green Bank, WV is a pretty neat destination. They have similar requirements on phone use but they also only allow diesel powered vehicles down to the GBT. Those vehicles are also quite old and sans any of today's modern electric gizmos (to much noise). The tour is pretty neat and the shear size of that dish is hard to describe.

from CHARLIE B "If you stay in the western part of NM, eastern AZ then you owe it to yourself to hit US 191 from Alpine to Clifton. Kind of the Tail of the Dragon of the area, but, with little to no traffic on a weekday (schedule 3 hours for that 90 mile stretch)."
charlie you said the road was 199, it is 191, use to be AZ666 and therefor the name of the road is "the Devils Hwy". I have been on the Devils Hwy better than 10 times and enjoyed the road every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, US191. And, yes, drove it when it was US666.

FYI there is an annual Devil's ride every June (or May?).

The southern section has no such problems with drunks. It is just narrow, twisty and no guardrails. A lot of chip seal with sand or loose gravel in spots.

Back
Top Bottom