DCT and emissions

In theory, yes. Just like in an automatic transmission car, the shifting can be mapped to allow the engine to operate at efficient speeds, lowering fuel consumption.

It does add weight over a manual transmission though, which affects efficiency.

I have been ahead of this for 7 years now and counting.

Yes, however, you will not notice it.

For me, DCT heightens my riding experiences when I ride NaNCy. I can pay a little more attention on other experiences of the ride.

My guess is that the DCT was developed primarily to entice potential riders who didn't know how to drive a manual shift car to try a motorcycle. And I'm sure it also helps on the emissions side.

My guess is that the DCT was developed primarily to entice potential riders who didn't know how to drive a manual shift car to try a motorcycle. And I'm sure it also helps on the emissions side.

More precisely motorcycle clutch and gear shifter operation. I also think that's why Honda tried the Hondamatic again with the 400cc and 450cc in the late 1970s and into the early 1980s. These were more a bit more successful than the CB750A, which was a "Huge Flop" and I had the unfortunate opportunity of owning one. Then Honda made another go at it with the DN-01 (Do Not Own One) with a statically dynamic transmission from 2008 to 2009. Another "Huge Flop"...

DCT seems to be the winning combination and it has been adapted to several different Honda models and engine sizes. While all of their previous attempts were single-engine sizes or offerings.

A car engineer told me they HATED manual transmissions for milage and emmisions. A computer can do the job oh so much better....

A car engineer told me they HATED manual transmissions for milage and emmisions. A computer can do the job oh so much better....
That has been the case for some time now. The manual transmission is on the "Endangered Species" list for the last decade.

Computer-controlled systems in an automotive or motorcycle application can closely manage all the parameters more efficiently than a human being can. The computer has a multitude of sensors that can take hundreds of reading in a matter of seconds.

We humans only have sight, sounds, and the sense of feeling to go off. I heard too many years back about adjusting the ignition timing by ear. In most cases, this did more harm than good to the engine and directed affected the engine's performance. This is one of the reasons why I hate ignition points to this day.

I did this on a couple of my bikes per my granddad's advice. One of my bikes' pistons got badly damaged due to pre-detonation per this advice. When factory electronic ignition became available, it eliminated this issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom