Demise of the IBA?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
While riding today the thought occurred to me that with the advent of EV motorcycles, the Iron Butt Association may be slowly becoming extinct. Sadly, unless EV technology has a miraculous improvement, there is a simply no way a SS1000 could be completed on an EV. The IBA isn't for everyone but those who enjoy long rides with a challenge will surely miss it.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
They could incorporate a pedal bike with a generator to charge the battery to really test endurance. Or maybe ride with an ICE generator. The IBA record book will have lots of asterisks.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that the IBA may have diminished in size over the years on its own, and higher gasoline prices certainly didn't entice many people into trying to ride 1000 or 1500 miles in 24 hours to qualify for IBA membership.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
A lot of changes coming in the world of motorcycles as most of us know it. I just read that the Honda Gold Wing Road Riders association has disbanded. At its peak it had 80,000 members and is is down to 10,000. No new generation to replace the old as many of the older members are leaving motorcycling and moving on the things like RV’s

Last edited:
A lot of changes coming in the world of motorcycles as most of us know it. I just read that the Honda Gold Wing Road Riders association has disbanded. At its peak it had 80,000 members and is is down to 10,000. No new generation to replace to old as many of the older members are leaving motorcycling and moving on the things like RV’s
And, as also seen on this forum, us oldies are moving to lighter bikes and not taking week long trips where we need to pack 300lbs of gear. Lots and lots of used Gold Wings in various classified sites.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
At least in my mind, it's not the gear packed on a trip but your ability to pick up your 700-800 lb Gold Wing after a minor boo-boo. I believe a lot of GWRRA riders converted their bikes to trikes over the last 10 yrs for that reason but eventually one has to give in to Father Time.

Bike
2010 NT700V
My guess is that the IBA may have diminished in size over the years on its own, and higher gasoline prices certainly didn't entice many people into trying to ride 1000 or 1500 miles in 24 hours to qualify for IBA membership.
I don't doubt there's less people attempting such rides, but I'd like to think there are numerous riders doing huge trips that don't feel the need to report to the IBA. In 2022 there's no need to send in fuel receipts to an archaic mailing list to share a ride you did. Anyone can post up a blog, TikTok, youtube video , Twitter post etc. documenting the ride.

I have done many cross country rides with high mileage days. I have never felt the need to report any to the IBA. I have no interest in putting a "Iron Butt" license plate frame on my motorcycles. If I like a ride or destination enough, I'll get a little sticker once there and put it on the bike.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The Motorcycle community is fairly diverse. I could imagine someone rigging a range extending generator of some sort to get it done.

Top Bottom