Denali D2 Light Issue

Bike
Silver NT700V
I was not sure where to post this, farlkles or technical, so technical got the nod.

I have Denali D2 lights installed that have quit working. Honda mechanic traced the issue to the push button switch which had become corroded. He opened and cleaned it and the lights worked for a week or two but have quit again.

Question - is it possible (or advisable) to "hot wire" the switch. When the the lights worked I never turned them off anyway. They stayed on the setting that allows the lights to get brighter with the high beam headlights and normal with the low beams.

I have noticed a big difference in my apparent visibility to other drivers without the lights.

Thanks for any input.

Chuck

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Have you called Twisted Throttle about this switch and possibly be able to order a new one? I would think also any generic switch would work, I am not sure of the safety of wiring them direct so I wont address that. I also have the same setup with min and also have ran them constantly for 50,k with no problems! the entire system is soon going to come off NT to go to the new FJR!

Let it be known how this all works out.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I agree with Eldon -- call Twisted Throttle. They've got the switches available even if they don't show them in the catalog or online.

Personally, I can't think of many reasons why you couldn't hotwire them. However, when I was in Newfoundland mine started blowing a fuse in about ten minutes. I couldn't find any pinched wires so I didn't know what that was about. I did notice that the right light (I have D-1 Denalis) looked like it had moisture in it. When I got to Twisted Throttle, they were fixing that and mounting a Givi trunk for me. They kept thinking they had the lights fixed but then they'd blow the fuse again.

I had mentioned the apparent moisture in the right light but they thought that was just behind the lens. Finally, I asked them if they had looked inside the light. When they did, they found that the light itself had leaked. They replaced that light and the problem was fixed. I don't know what you'd have if your Denalis were hotwired and something like that happened. I don't know if it would short out the whole bike or not. Your mechanic should be able to tell you.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Do you have any laws in your state about switching aux lights? In NM the lights must be switchable (to off, not just low). Aux lights and high beam must be turned off when another car is within 300ft (at night). Is it enforced? Not that I have seen, but, that is the way the law is written.

elizilla

I have the Denalis mounted on my Super10. I discarded their wiring harness and switch altogether and set mine up to be switched by the high beams, and with a more elegant panel-mounted round rocker switch on the fairing to turn them off altogether if I need to. It has worked fine so far, but I only put about 17,000 miles on the setup before I ended up parking the bike due to health. It'll come out more next year with the new sidecar.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Do you have any laws in your state about switching aux lights? In NM the lights must be switchable (to off, not just low). Aux lights and high beam must be turned off when another car is within 300ft (at night). Is it enforced? Not that I have seen, but, that is the way the law is written.
Not that I know of. I can see the point for the very large and bright flood lights found on some dual sport and off road bikes. These are small and I have them aimed like fog lights so I should not have that issue.

Chuck

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Not that I know of. I can see the point for the very large and bright flood lights found on some dual sport and off road bikes. These are small and I have them aimed like fog lights so I should not have that issue.

Chuck
NM code does not distinguish what type of light it is or how bright. If it is white and facing forward then it is an aux light and covered by the code.

Like I said, it isn't enforced that I know of (at least I've never been stopped :) ). But, I do have a separate switch for my aux lights just in case.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the D-1 lights and mounted the switch inside the fairing where it is out of the weather. Mine are always on. The switch is there in case a LEO stops me and tells me to turn them off. They are great "Bambi Lights".

Top Bottom