Digital Display Reset: Why?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I rode to work as usual today - nothing unusual about the weather or anything else.

When I got back on the bike to ride home, the clock, the two trip odometers and everything else had reset, except for the main odometer. The bike fired right up - no hiccups on the way home, and I've started it up a few times since arriving home. The clock had advanced a number of hours when I turned on the ignition, so when it reset, it was near the time I shut the bike down when I arrived at work.

Any idea why that happened?

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
And that was the only explanation I could come up with too. I'll check in the morning. thanx, Rick.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have noticed on my NT, since it has gotten cold in the mornings, that while mine does not reset it does switch itself between odometer A and the main odometer. I switch it back to A and the next morning it has switched back to the main one again. I am guessing it has something to do with reduced voltage from the battery when it sits out in the cold overnight.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
My original battery is going on 32months now so a little long in the tooth. At a recent rest stop I happened to leave the ignition on for around 30minutes. Upon restarting the bike it bogged just a bit and didn't fire right up. I thumbed the starter again and it cranked up just fine. It was then I noticed the clock had reset (don't think/notice if the trips had reset). I suspected an under volt caused the reset though not sure. It hasn't happened again as I've been vigilant about turning the ignition off.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have noticed on my NT, since it has gotten cold in the mornings, that while mine does not reset it does switch itself between odometer A and the main odometer. I switch it back to A and the next morning it has switched back to the main one again. I am guessing it has something to do with reduced voltage from the battery when it sits out in the cold overnight.
Well, that might be an explanation, Warren - but I doubt it. It was 71 riding to work and got up to 85 today. It was a little humid, but then, it always is around here. :smile:

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I had that happen to me today too, Not sure why, but when I got home all seemed okay. I was at a gas station and tried to reset trip, just got -- -- not numbers (I was wearing winter gloves but do not see what that has to do with reset). Clock started acting crazy too. Trip Mileage would change to different numbers, 45.8 then 52.8 or some such amount. When I got home I was able to reset trip to 0.0 (had gloves off, again do not see what that has to do with it) and it going to be no riding for about a week, so I not be able to check again for awhile.
I not found anything related to that on a search. Since it is a sealed battery no way to check each cell. It is a '10, but purchased May '13 but I do not know if battery is from '10 or '13. I keep in on a tender, and it always turn green in less then 2 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That was the first sign that my '04 BMW RT's battery was nearing its end. I was able to charge it up a few times and it would be OK for a week or so, but eventually it had to go.
Hmmmm - you have me thinking. I'll check it tomorrow and maybe replace it since I am about to start a two week trip. it is a three year old battery. thanx.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd say a low voltage situation. If you can get into the battery, test each cell with one of those cheap battery hydrometers. I bet at least one cell is too low. That was the first sign that my '04 BMW RT's battery was nearing its end. I was able to charge it up a few times and it would be OK for a week or so, but eventually it had to go.
Happened to me, too. The battery finally got to the point where it wouldn't start the bike if there were more than 3-4 days in between rides.

New battery has fixed it. Old one was a bit over 3 years old.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A low voltage occurrence is what will often cause the clock and trip meters to reset. I've only seen that happen though when the bike was started. Not when it was just sitting unless the battery dies.

Cranking the motor strains the battery and a weaker battery can suffer from enough of a voltage drop that the clock/trip resets. You seem to indicate that this didn't happen during start-up but during the period between turning the bike off and when you next turned it on (prior to starting). I'm not sure how a battery would be two weak to maintain the clock and trip while the bike was off yet be strong enough to actually start the bike. :shrug2:

I would check the voltage of the battery while at rest. It should be right at 12 volts. If that voltage is okay, then I'd check the voltage drop during engine start. I'm not sure what an acceptable voltage drop is during start-up. Maybe someone with the service manual handy knows. I would think anything at or 10 volts during start-up would indicate a weak battery.

You can also just remove the battery and take it to an automotive store/shop that can load test the battery for you. They'll be able to tell you if the battery is weak and needs replacement.

I'm assuming that the battery connections are all clean and tight. Definitely make sure the terminals are in good condition and properly snug.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
George,
Not unscientific at all. I was taught that "Test" when I took auto mechanics in high school.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I just got back from the local Honda shop - I took the bike in for routine 8,000 mile maintenance - and had the mechanic check the battery. Said it was just fine - no problem he saw. I am tempted to buy a new battery anyway and install it before I leave next week.

Thanx for all the advice.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
It's a voltage dip. I had a Shorai battery that would routinely do this when the temps were low (<40F). I would assume a slightly weak lead-acid battery would also do this.

Even when the bike would start OK, depending on the degree of dip I would see various symptoms:
- Display switch from trip ODO to main ODO.
- Clock reset.
- Everything reset.

Below about 35 degf the most annoying thing: bike wouldn't start, battery runs down very quickly, and everything reset.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My battery is 3-1/2 years old and I suspect I am seeing the early signs that the end of its life cycle is getting near. The question is will it make it through this winter.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yep - mine too. I just chickened out and bought a battery. The last thing I want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere when the bike fails to start on a cold morning.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
When my battery was going bad it would reset the clock when I cranked over the motor. I started paying closer attention and the starter was dragging while cranking also.
New battery fixed it up.

Brad

Top Bottom