DIY Maintenance

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I just did my first at home oil change on the NT. I have to say it doesn't get much easier. Not counting drainage time, I probably spent 5 minutes actually performing the task.
I plan to use Rotella in the future but I had a couple of expensive quarts of Mobil1 going to waste, so I bought one more and an M1-108 filter and knocked it out.
Temps should reach 106 in the Dallas area tomorrow, but a cold front is in the offing for Friday night. Highs should not reach 90 this weekend so I think I will head for the hills Saturday morning.
Clay

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I just did my first at home oil change on the NT. I have to say it doesn't get much easier. Not counting drainage time, I probably spent 5 minutes actually performing the task.
I plan to use Rotella in the future but I had a couple of expensive quarts of Mobil1 going to waste, so I bought one more and an M1-108 filter and knocked it out.
Temps should reach 106 in the Dallas area tomorrow, but a cold front is in the offing for Friday night. Highs should not reach 90 this weekend so I think I will head for the hills Saturday morning.
Clay
Are you sure this filter is short enough? If too long the NT centerstand can punch a hole in it when retracted.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Are you sure this filter is short enough? If too long the NT centerstand can punch a hole in it when retracted.
Yup! The M1-108 is the same size as the OE filter... no clearance probs.

Mike

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
M1-108 is good and it looked like Auto Zone had a Fram that might have worked, though I didnt ask
You can also get an ST6607 at Wal mart that many ST1300 users like for about $3.50
I heard a rumor though, that Champion no longer makes the ST6607 and some people are shying away...SOme stores have even pulled them from the shelves

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yes. The oil changes on the NT are simple. Just for future info, the NT takes the same size that many other Honda motorcycles use. It is the same size as the OEM Goldwing (GL1500 and GL1800) which due to its popularity may make finding filters for you in the future a bit easier. If the manufacturer lists it as OEM compatible on an '01-13 Goldwing, it'll work on the NT. That filter is even the same one as on my '89 Honda CB-1 making it quite convenient for me. I only need 1 filter for all 3 motorcycles.

That filter is also the OEM size for a Yamaha Roadstar.:D

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
M1-108 is good and it looked like Auto Zone had a Fram that might have worked, though I didnt ask
You can also get an ST6607 at Wal mart that many ST1300 users like for about $3.50
I heard a rumor though, that Champion no longer makes the ST6607 and some people are shying away...SOme stores have even pulled them from the shelves
My Walmart no longer carries the ST6607

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes. The oil changes on the NT are simple. Just for future info, the NT takes the same size that many other Honda motorcycles use. It is the same size as the OEM Goldwing (GL1500 and GL1800) which due to its popularity may make finding filters for you in the future a bit easier. If the manufacturer lists it as OEM compatible on an '01-13 Goldwing, it'll work on the NT. That filter is even the same one as on my '89 Honda CB-1 making it quite convenient for me. I only need 1 filter for all 3 motorcycles.

That filter is also the OEM size for a Yamaha Roadstar.:D
Just to clarify. Do not take a competitive cross reference as "gospel" when looking for a non-OE filter. For example, when I crossed the Honda OE # over to a Wix filter it gave me a filter that would fit the engine but it was too long and thus would be impacted by the center stand. I contacted Wix and advised them of that. They promptly removed any cross reference info from their ecat and are currently reegineering the filter to meet Honda's physical dimensions. It should be available this fall. They are also modifying the pressure refief specs and beta ratios to exceed Honda specs so it should be a good filter when it is available.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My Walmart no longer carries the ST6607
I was disappointed when I discovered this on my last couple trips to Walmart for filters and Oil. Used the Fram ph6607 instead.... But they still carry my Shell Rotella synthetic!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just to clarify. Do not take a competitive cross reference as "gospel" when looking for a non-OE filter. For example, when I crossed the Honda OE # over to a Wix filter it gave me a filter that would fit the engine but it was too long and thus would be impacted by the center stand. I contacted Wix and advised them of that. They promptly removed any cross reference info from their ecat and are currently reegineering the filter to meet Honda's physical dimensions. It should be available this fall. They are also modifying the pressure refief specs and beta ratios to exceed Honda specs so it should be a good filter when it is available.

Mike
Very good point! It is disappointing that a vendor would list a product as "fitting" when it in fact is not a OEM spec replacement.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I got so frustrated trying to find the correct length filters that I just bought a 10 pack of Honda OEM filters off the internet. They should last me a little while.

Top Bottom