Do the RPMs vary during the NTs break-in period?

prof98801

Did 80 miles yesterday and 60 miles today as our weather is improving. I was noticing my RPMs today and at 60mph I was at about 4000 RPMs. Three hundred miles ago when my bike had 100 miles on it I believe that at 60 mph the RPMs were about 5000 RPMs. My bike now has 400 miles. Does the RPMs vary as the NT goes through its break-in period?

Took everyone's advice and rode more straight up on the bike and the back felt better after today's ride. I did order the MCL risers yesterday just to be on the safe side.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Did 80 miles yesterday and 60 miles today as our weather is improving. I was noticing my RPMs today and at 60mph I was at about 4000 RPMs. Three hundred miles ago when my bike had 100 miles on it I believe that at 60 mph the RPMs were about 5000 RPMs. My bike now has 400 miles. Does the RPMs vary as the NT goes through its break-in period?

Took everyone's advice and rode more straight up on the bike and the back felt better after today's ride. I did order the MCL risers yesterday just to be on the safe side.
Sounds like earler you never shifted up to fifth gear.:smile::wink:

Igo

Unless the clutch was slipping when it was brand new (and it wasn't) but has corrected itself, no, 5000 should have netted you about 75 mph in fifth and 4000 should have gotten you about 60.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
60mph I was at about 4000 RPMs. Three hundred miles ago when my bike had 100 miles on it I believe that at 60 mph the RPMs were about 5000 RPMs. My bike now has 400 miles. Does the RPMs vary as the NT goes through its break-in period?

4,250 in 5th is 60 mph indicated. I agree with Chuck...I don't think you'd shifted into 5th.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The point as I understand it is to vary the revs during break in. With your right hand on the throttle to help the moving parts fettle themselves together. Try to avoid droning along at X rpm for extended periods or am I out in the ozone again.

elizilla

That's why I did my break-in miles almost entirely as city driving. I also made a point of not doing it all at once - get a couple of heat cycles too. It's fun to be able to take it back for the first service the day after you pick it up, but it's a better break-in if you spend a couple weeks on it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a difficult time relating to "break in". The first 50 to 100 miles are important to bed things in. At 100mi, I changed the oil and rode it as if I stole it. The bike now has 200mi on the clock and is stored for the winter. When I put it on the road, the oil and filtre will be changed and I will ride the bike as if it was broken in (the reality is that the bike is broken in) At 600mi it will go to the dealer for a valve adjustment. I will change the oil. At 1000, I will switch to Rotella T 16 Synthetic. This oil meets JASO MA Spec. Under no circumstances use an "Energy Conserving" oil. My Ninja was broken in this way and it was a screamer. I also use K&N Oil Filtres (KN-204) You don't need a filtre wrench--a 17mm spanner does the job. It is also pre drilled for safety wiring. I found that on the Ninja, there was a significant improvement in shifting. Wet clutches seem to thrive on synthetic. Oil and filtre changes will be every 3000mi.

Top Bottom