Does the NT use the same oil filter as the ST1300?

prof98801

I have had my oil changes done at the dealership for the first year since it was on warranty. Now I will be doing the changing. Was wondering if the NT uses the same oil filter as the ST1300?

Also, on the internet a number of websites on changing of the oil mentioned to take out the plastic mesh filter and clean it. Does the NT have this mesh filter?

motorcycles.about.com/od/motorcyclemaintenanc1/ss/Oil_Change_7.htm

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I know the GL1800/ST1300/VTX can use the same filters. There are a difference in the lengths but it's minor and many have used either with no issues.

I don't know the part number so if you post that I can check but also Chuck has both bikes so I'm sure he knows...

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Be careful that you don't get one subbed that is too long by 3/4 " , as it will be cut by the the center stand when you fold it.
See another thread here about that and a you tube video.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I know that the OEM GL1800 filter and NT700V oil filters are identical. Part number 15410-MFJ-D01.

When I check the parts fische for the ST1300, I find that the OEM part number for its filter is 15410-MFJ-D01.

Looks like the same filter is used.
I have had my oil changes done at the dealership for the first year since it was on warranty. Now I will be doing the changing. Was wondering if the NT uses the same oil filter as the ST1300?

Also, on the internet a number of websites on changing of the oil mentioned to take out the plastic mesh filter and clean it. Does the NT have this mesh filter?

motorcycles.about.com/od/motorcyclemaintenanc1/ss/Oil_Change_7.htm

OP
OP

prof98801

What about that plastic mesh filter that I mentioned? Does the NT have one? My first thread gave one of the websites that talk about this.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I think that article is showing how to change the oil on a Ducati. Different manufacturers (and even models) can vary wildly on oil change procedures. So I would NOT use that article as a reference to changing the oil and oil filter on the NT700V. Instead use your owners manual or the service manual for the NT700V.

Based on my memory of reading the manual, the NT only has a standard spin-on oil filter. Access to both it and the drain plug are very easy. Have a look at this youtube video. That would be a better reference than the "how to" article you initially sighted.

[video=youtube;gPzFLk8r9s4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzFLk8r9s4[/video]

Definitely follow the manual though so you know how much oil and how to check the level after you are done.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Walmart ST6607 filter fits both the ST and the NT. Make sure the Filter for the NT is NO LONGER than two (2) inches long. If it is 2.5 inches you will punch a hole in it with the center-stand. I use Walmart ST6607 for both my ST and my NT. This filter is 2 inches long. I have been using Walmart filter ST6607 on my ST for over 8 years and 100000 miles. No issues.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
K&N 204 works well--a bit pricey. No filter wrench needed--just a 17mm Box Wrench. It can also be safety wired. I like the K&N because I have had great service with that brand in a high performance Sport Bike and in my Racing Cars.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have used a Fram PH6607 which is the short filter.
I have also used by mistake the longer PH6017. The attached picture shows what the center stand may do to the longer filters.

Brad

Attachments

johnha

It uses the same filter as my ST1100. Don't know of what mesh screen you're talking about and don't recall seeing one in the shop manual.

Top Bottom