Dropped bike - did i bend the shift lever?

nunyet

Morning, I dropped the bike in my garage, dented the exhaust on my cx500 turbo but i thought only scratched the tipover on the Nt. Then I looked at the shift lever and it is curved in towards the bike. It seems to me like i bent it, there was some scuffing on the end like it hit the concrete. Is anyone else's curved like this? It still works, but now I feel like it is different and wondering if I should replace it.

Attachments

• 20200211_125521.jpg
    20200211_125521.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 40
The tip of the shifter should be parallel to the footpeg and you can easily bend it back as necessary.

Thank you, will give that a try this weekend. Normally I am nervous about bending metal back, especially aluminum.

You said its appearance isn't interfering with operation. Just leave it alone. You are right to be concerned with bending back aluminum. If it were my bike I would only tweak on it if it was interfering with shifting

I dropped my bike some time ago and the shifter has been bent. I had to bend it make into shape and replace the connection rod between the linkage points.

Yours doesn't appear to be bent much. If it bothers you go ahead and bend it back straight. I have bent back old dirt bike shifters without much trouble but not the NT's.
By the way it is steel not aluminum.

Brad

Thanks for all the replies. I had assumed it was aluminum but glad to hear it is steel.

Hi Nunyet,
I just had a look at my shifter, and it is the same as yours. I did have to replace the plastic cover on the crash bar after I got bike. I guess the previous owner dropped it. I never noticed anything odd about the shift lever riding it....so I will leave it alone. The shift lever is steel.

Looks just like mine. It's not a problem...unless it is for you.

Thanks again for all the replies. Over the weekend i did 400 miles visiting my parents [dad's 88th birthday] and it didn't bother me, so i will leave it. Guess i was super focused on it after the drop.

Thanks again for all the replies. Over the weekend i did 400 miles visiting my parents [dad's 88th birthday] and it didn't bother me, so i will leave it. Guess i was super focused on it after the drop.
Your scoot now looks like an NT veteran. Phil calls it his "patina", I call mine "battle scars". No matter whatcha call 'em they will accumulate over time.

Mike

Mike that is a good way to look at it, beats worrying over every scratch. Especially for a commuter bike.

Morning, I dropped the bike in my garage, dented the exhaust on my cx500 turbo but i thought only scratched the tipover on the Nt. Then I looked at the shift lever and it is curved in towards the bike. It seems to me like i bent it, there was some scuffing on the end like it hit the concrete. Is anyone else's curved like this? It still works, but now I feel like it is different and wondering if I should replace it.
Mine looks just like that and has since I first got it. Only a few hundred miles after getting it my foot slipped at a red light and over I went. I never bothered to fix it, thinking if I did it would bend again the next time I fall over. I now have almost 72 thousand miles on the NT and it has never been a problem. :) PS: I've not fallen over on that side since. Probably would have if I had straightened it. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom