Dry-Spec Waterproof Packing System

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine got here today. Here are some pictures. The first is all my camping gear: REI Half-Dome 2+ tent, Kermit camping chair and leg extenders, Luxury Lite camping cot, Big Agnes Buffalo Park sleeping bag, Big Agnes Ultra-Core sleeping pad.

Then the packed Dry-Spec system and the system mounted on the bike. Very-well thought-out piece of equipment with lots of flexibility and easy mounting.

I think it'll be worth the money! When I carried camping stuff on my Concours, I had my sleeping bag in an Eclipse bag that mounted across the seat, then used straps to tie the tent and sleeping pad across the pillion.

tawilke46

Looks great and fits the NT really well.
Now you can surely take it all with you!
Did you get the 34 or 60 liter bag?

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Looks like it packs in really well! Any reason you chose those vs Ortlieb or Kriega? Just curious...

taldric

Phil - looks good! What's the length from the front of the top box to the front of the dry bag (where it is up against your back)? I really like the look of that system, but I am unsure if I will have enough room. Hm - maybe I should try move the top box mounting plate back a few inches... Hm...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
This is what I got: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/461/1/40/

The D-38 rigid bag is 38 liters; the open-ended D-28 bag that can be used separately or attached to the top of the D-38 is -- ta-daa! -- 28 liters. Together they make a 66-liter system.

I liked the way they attach to the bike better than the Ortlieb or Kriega bags. Plus, I've had very good luck with Twisted Throttle's stuff. They seem to have thought through the details.

My only critique of these is the two little "stash pockets" on the sides of the D-38. The zipper on one of them popped apart when I zipped it with just two the soft straps that are used to attach the D-38 to the bag. Since that's probably all I've ever put in those pockets, it's no big deal.

Nicole

What is that round sticker on the side of your bike ... it looks like a bmw logo

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The one thing I found out about that system is you can actually strap the top bag to the lower one using the velcro handle as it's got enough slack in it. That way you don't need to mess with the little straps on upper bag. So, makes for a quick on/off of that top bag. I tried it a couple times and I don't think the velcro would ever come loose in the wind, there's just so much of it and those straps are pretty wide.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What is that round sticker on the side of your bike ... it looks like a bmw logo
Like Mellow said. Brad Esler makes them. I had his KMW green and white roundels on my Concours and when I took the NT to the 2010 COG National Rally, he had sent four HMW roundels. I've gotten laughs from most BMW owners. Every now and then one will start to wave and then pull it back when he realizes I'm on a Honda. I've also gotten questions like, "Does BMW make Hondas now?" (and vice-versa) or "Did Honda buy BMW?" (and vice-versa).

I mean it as a joke and mostly it gets taken that way.

BTW, Brad's email address is: bradesler@yahoo.com

The roundels are $5 each and he charges $2 shipping.

taldric

Phil - Did the system come with the straps you used to connect it to the NT? And have you tried riding with all the gear on there? How was the ride?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, the system comes with everything you need to attach it to the bike very securely. I haven't ridden with it yet, but have no qualms about what it will be like. I rode a lot of miles with a tent, sleeping bag and pad on the pillion of my Connie and never had any trouble. This system will hold everything much more rigidly and securely and I think the only difference in handling will be what 25# or so on the pillion would cause -- not much.

1 TRAK and some of his friends are going to be here in a couple of weeks. They'll camp in my backyard on Saturday night and we'll ride together Sunday afternoon. I may be able to camp with them on Sunday night if I can keep my calendar clear. I'll let you all know how it goes.

taldric

Tim, the system comes with everything you need to attach it to the bike very securely. I haven't ridden with it yet, but have no qualms about what it will be like. I rode a lot of miles with a tent, sleeping bag and pad on the pillion of my Connie and never had any trouble. This system will hold everything much more rigidly and securely and I think the only difference in handling will be what 25# or so on the pillion would cause -- not much.

1 TRAK and some of his friends are going to be here in a couple of weeks. They'll camp in my backyard on Saturday night and we'll ride together Sunday afternoon. I may be able to camp with them on Sunday night if I can keep my calendar clear. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Thanks Phil. I just ordered a set as well.

I moved my top box mount back about 1.5 inches today (ugh - what a mess - maybe I'll take some pictures and write it up) so I hope the bag system will fit now.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, I hope it fits for you. I've got the SW-Moto Alu-Rack and the CooCase mounting bracket from TT and the Dry-Spec system fit absolutely perfectly between me and the CooCase.

Top Bottom