DRZ Ramblings: Allegan State Game Area

1TRAK

Got in a three hour tour monday the 27th, looks to be the last dualsport ride this year.

The Allegan State Game Area is Michigans largest at 42,000 acres and offers camping, hunting, fishing, water sports, hiking, orienteering, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, and has some great two tracks open to any plated vehicle.

I've lived near and enjoyed these woods, lakes, creeks, and marshes thirty plus years and felt compelled to share some pics with you.

Some of the roads are not maintained, thank you.

IMG_8281.jpg

Many openings here were old homesteads before the state took them for non payment of taxes during the depression.

IMG_8284.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

One of my favorite trails along Swan Creek

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

Swan Creek

IMG_8292.jpg

The land is managed for multiuse, here's a typical select cut after three years

IMG_8304.jpg

The Kalamazoo River runs through the heart of the area, great for canoeing.

IMG_8307.jpg

One of the more attractive select cut areas.

IMG_8328-1.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

The Game Area has many lakes, this is the south shore of Little Tom, undeveloped and a great place to view waterfowl.

IMG_8335.jpg

Michigan is all about the Woods and Water; the Ottawa Marsh is a spectacular wetland that covers a huge area here.

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

The Allegan State Game Area is located in S.W. Michigan, Take Care!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a certain attraction to dual-sport riding, isn't there? If my knees were any good....

I can see the attraction of dual-sport as well, having ridden dirt bikes in my youth. However, I cannot see doing it on a bike over about 500 cc and about 400 lbs. Just to much weight to throw around when the going gets rough..... just my humble opinion.

MIke

There's a certain attraction to dual-sport riding, isn't there? If my knees were any good....
Good morning Phil! I enjoy dual sport more each year, my knees can't take the hammering of the endless whoops our singletrack has anymore. Age marches on and seems to catch up with us all eventually, even if we're just old kids!

500 ccs and 400 pounds don't sound like much fun to me either Mike, though there are folks that ride KLRs about anywhere. The DRZ is 400 cc and weighs a little over 300 pounds ready to ride, it's been a great bike for the 12000 miles I've ridden it.

Take Care! Steve

I learned today that I've got two friends who own Kawasaki KLX-250s. They both love them. But I'm still not sure about my knees on even a light dual-sport.

I learned today that I've got two friends who own Kawasaki KLX-250s. They both love them. But I'm still not sure about my knees on even a light dual-sport.

Evening Phil. Do I hear some interest in dual sporting with your friends? If so I'd like to say that having knee issues doesn't mean one can't do it.
Don't know what your issues are but I have some friends that have had surgeries and just have bad knees that still dual sport.

Most of them have adopted a sit down riding style that works for easy to moderate dual sporting. The KLX 250 is a great choice for dual sport: lighter weight which is easier on the body and knees, enough power to have fun and excellent on fuel.

Dual sporting takes you places you'd probably never see, it's a great way to explore the backcountry with friends.

P.S. Thanks Bob, a DRZ would be a great compliment to your Strom!

012.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_7963.jpg

1TRAK,

I've had five knee replacements, 2 left, 3 right. The next right knee would be, my orthopod says, a "challenging" surgery. I'm dubious about riding dual sport. I fall down on the NT, who knows what I'd do in the dirt on a dual-sport bike?

I fall down on the NT, who knows what I'd do in the dirt on a dual-sport bike?

I know it would be a lot less expensive when you do fall down! :D :doh1:

Look at a Honda CRF230L, it is the dual sport version of the CRF230M "Motard" the MSF uses for BRC. When one of the petite young ladies in my BRC class dropped her bike she had no problem picking it up by herself after being coached on how to do it properly.

1TRAK,

I've had five knee replacements, 2 left, 3 right. The next right knee would be, my orthopod says, a "challenging" surgery. I'm dubious about riding dual sport. I fall down on the NT, who knows what I'd do in the dirt on a dual-sport bike?

Didn't know you had such serious issues there Phil.

As for falling down in the dirt the guys I ride with are good sport riders that never seem to bobble on the street, but once on our dual sports it's not if but when will someone have a get off or do a low speed drop. Mind you we don't usually get hurt much but we're a practiced group at low impact get offs.

Dirt riding with friends is great but of course includes a certain amount of risk.

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures and write up Steve! It looks like you've got a great area to ride in and most of it looks just like SW Missouri.

I rode all kinds of ISDT type events and trails when I was in Southern California. One mile North, 5 miles east and 10 miles south, found me in 3 to 7,000 ft mountains and jeep trails open to the public.

I've had a lot of dualsports and enduros in my life, from 100cc to 650cc's: 2 KLR 650's, 1 KLX 650,1 DR 650, 1 KTM 640 EXC, starting in 1987 till 1999 for the big trailies and from 1966 for the smaller ones. I prefer the larger ones for the torque and power and easier highway use. I also had a DL 1000 V-strom, Triumph Scrambler and a BMW R1100GS but those bikes were pretenders and mostly street oriented.

Missouri doesn't seem to have a lot of open public areas to ride in and the few I know off are at least 75 to 100 miles away, so there are no dualsports in the stable.

Sam:)

Thanks Sam, glad you enjoyed the pics. Most of them are in lower Michigan, the last three are in the Upper Peninsula near L'Anse.

Sounds like great off road roots, I always wanted to do some desert riding but never had the opportunity.
My roots are fireroading, singletrack and a few years of running enduros and hare scrambles, the Jackpine and Cherry Pit Nationals were great fun!

I've had a number of bikes also and prefer midsize with just enough power, the DRZ works great for that. Had a KLR and two XRLs which were good for travel and easy exploring but they were just to heavy.

In Michigan we're blessed with over five million acres of state and national forests, dualsport and adventure riding here is great. Take Care!

IMG_7607.jpg

IMG_8016.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

Back
Top Bottom