Dump truck hop

skiper

Many of you know that dump trucks can hop - and for those who don't , let me tell you a short story .. Recently , while on the NY Highway System , at 55 mph , 1/2 car length behind a ten wheel MACK , a Thunderous Bang rang out and the dump truck hopped up several inches in the air and touched down about 1/8 of a lane , into my lane right in front of my little NT. Good thing I hadn't yet been next to him or it would have been terrifying instead of thunderously interesting .. What i put together afterwards is - he was empty and didn't see the storm drain grate box that was couple inches high due to the road resurfacing project going on. When the sound wave hit me my eyes went to the solid front axle and bright white sunlight showing both front wheels trying to imitate the Dukes of Hazard and the big mass moving - "hoping" right in towards me and the arm of the driver yanking that humungus white wheel to correct.. WoW -- more fun than a amusement ride . At that moment my sweet NT turned into a new type of motorcycle - an "Amusement Bike" .. I blasted wide around the vanishing portal of doom and exceeded the posted limit until all the weird vibes dissipated as it were .. Hey Pholkes -- that's Motorcycling for ya. Stuff can happen which you wouldn't expect - so think about riding defensively in a "defensive" way and keep the fun in the mix.. good luck to you all ..

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That story is a bit scary. At least the driver was alert and not texting or something.

Brad

kenstone

I've seen empty heavily sprung trucks "hop" under hard braking, scary I know:eek1:
Even on the highway I try not to spend any time along side an 18 wheeler when I'm passing, because a if a truck tire blows out it'll take you with it.

The worste are the people who have their cruise control set about 1 mile an hour faster than I'm going and take 10 miles to clear me, or trap me behind a slower vehicle in my lane:doh1:
just sayin'
Ken

Top Bottom