Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II Cost

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hopefully here's additional useful tire information for comparing aspects of DIY to having a Dealer replace tires! The majority of the time I solo cruise with my NT on blacktop or tar and chip rural roads at 45mphish. With the original tires maintained at 36/42psi the rear was worn out to the wear bars and a little beyond at 6K miles. Although the front tire had marginal tread remaining it was cupped enough to warrant replacement because it was providing feedback to the tune of "wubba wubba (slight) shimmy shimmy"on turns on cement roads. I had local Honda dealer in Ruff Creek, PA, replace O.E. tires with same sized Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II tires with notable expenses as follows: Front $155.96, Rear $208.46, Labor $98.80, 2ounces of balance beads at $10.95 per tire, total parts/labor with associated Pennsylvania disposal and tire valve expenses less tax came to $494.07. After 200 miles on the Dunlops I can't say that I notice any major difference between grip, ride or balancing as compared to the OE's, but then again, I am not an agressive rider, I never ride on wet roads and hope that the advertisement hype of the longevity of the Roadsmart II's live up to the claims.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Since I assume that the dealer balanced the wheels after installing the new tires why did you add the balance beads,. Just curious.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Had Dunlop Sportmax RS II installed in Rapid City, SD during the Spearfish Trip. My OEM tires were much as JKOVAL describes except I had a bit more tread on the rear and a plug that had started to leak after 800 miles. The Honda dealer in Rapid City was the closest place with tires that would fit the NT. They got me in first thing in the next morning after arrival in Spearfish.

The total charge was $465.33 = $360.54 tires + $104.79 instal (taxes and additional expenses included)

The road between Spearfish and Rapid City has rain grooves. The difference between the tires was night and day. I did not "shop" for the Dunlops but after 3,000 miles, I am still very happy with them. They seem surefooted to me.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Joe,

It sounds to me like they got to you a bit a little , and to JKOVAL a lot! THe day I pay my local dealer $50 dollars per tire for mounting when I am buying tires from him will be a cold one!LOL he and his shop forman both know I have the equiptment to do my own and if they were to play Jessie James with me that I will do them myself and they will lose all the labor plus the tire sale profit as well.. Granted you were on a trip and a long way from home so you were a captive customer and between the rock and the hard spot! I try to avoid that by getting my tires at home before departing on a trip if there is any question of them not making itout and back. With the PR 3's I know I can circle the USA or criss cross the country and have plenty of tread to spare.

Eldon

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Eldon,

I know what you are saying ... but The night before our Spearfish departure (Sunday) I topped off the tires and found a long sheet metal screw in the center of my rear tire tread. I had planned on a tire change long after the Spearfish trip. MC shops are closed on Monday in Spokane. Either I delayed my departure to Spearfish by two days or ... PLAN B. I plugged the tire which held for 800 miles and then developed a slow leak. I made it to Spearfish but decided to replace the tires.

The Rapid City Honda dealer prices for those tires were very good when compared to the on-line sales. The Honda dealer service dept was completely booked , but the service manager said that if I was there the first thing in the morning ...

Coyote Chris and I rode over early. We left the bike and walked to the recommended Diner. By the time breakfast was over, the bike was done.

The mounting, balance, remove and replace, tire disposal, new stems, etc for a $100 seemed expensive but reasonable considering what a PITA the rear wheel can be.

I will probably pull the wheels myself for the next set of tires.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Eldon, I agree with Frosty -- under the circumstances, the Rapid City Honda dealer was a godsend. When I had almost the same thing happen to me in '12 (nail in the rear the morning I was leaving to do a BBG on my way to Spearfish), I plugged the tire and the plug held .... until I got to Spearfish. Then we couldn't get it to stop leaking. I got towed to Rapid and the Honda dealer got my rear tire replaced the first thing the next morning. I don't remember what it cost, but it was worth it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree with both Joe & Phil, with the circumstances and being out of home dealer location. BUTT if in my own back yard , NO WAY1LOL compae to a GL 1800 rear the NT tires are peaches and cream!:smile:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
JKoval:

I think you will be pleased with the longevity from the Dunlops. I replaced my rear Roadsmart 2 with 16,000 miles on it. It would have went MUCH longer but a puncture did me in. The front tire just now has 20K on it and there is still some miles left in it.... I'm guessing 2k - 4K more before I hit the wear indicators My OE tires only made it to 8K before they were shot. I'm sold on the Dunlops!

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks everybody for your inputs / insights. I'll close out with a few clarifications. Dealer did say that with the NT on a drop type lift that he did not have the usual PITA associated with changing the rear tire compared to the cycle being on a regular lift or removing rear tire while cycle is on the garage floor. I considered new 90 degree valve stems but chickened out and went with new standard straight valve stems. The price I showed was for Dealer to do it all... I rode bike to Dealer, parked it, walked over to the Quicky Mart and downed a large coffee and donut, humbled myself attempting to solve the NY Times Crossword puzzle, and when I came back the new tires were installed, old were properly recycled, etc.... Dealer said new Dunlop tires balance was so close on each wheel that they just put 2 ounces of balance beads in tires and let it go at that.

Top Bottom