[Review] Ermax High Screen Windshield +10cm for Honda Deauville 2006 & up

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hello All,

I received the Ermax High Screen Windshield that I ordered over a month or so ago. This windshield purchased from Moto Machines and this unit was French made.

My first impression after removing from the box:

• The overall aesthetics and shape of the windshield were impressive.

• The build quality looked to be up to par.

After installation onto the bike, a couple of issues were noticed:

• The outmost edges of the shield collide with the mirror perches in the two lowest height settings and material had to be removed for proper operation. This prompt me to get out my Dremel tool with a sanding drum and start to create cutouts on both sides of the windshield allowing enough space to fit my fingers between the shield and the perches.

• In multiple locations, several optical distortions were noticed where there were bends or where the material curves. This could cause some people to get headaches or nausea when looking through the windshield all day long.

My Thoughts:

• It was noticed that windshield was made of acrylic, not polycarbonate. What tipped me off was the smell when I was using the Dremel to create the cutouts. Acrylic has a unique smell and if any of you have ever been in a nail salon would recognize that smell.

• Acrylic is not a good material to be used for a windshield as it can shatter and send shards of plastic flying at the rider and cause possible injury in the event of an accident. This material poses a safety risk and can break very easily at any time without warning when it has been overstressed. Also dropping the bike in a parking lot could possibly cause the windshield to break off.

• It was very obvious that this windshield was made from a formed sheet of plastic because of optical distortions that are present. An injection molded part would not have any optical distortions.

• Polycarbonate, commonly known as "PC" is best suited for applications such as motorcycle headlight lens, windshields, and helmet visors. DOT requires the use of PC on components such as these and these products will be marked as DOT Approved or simply carry a DOT marking on them.

My Rating:

I would rate this product as a "1 out 5" due to modifications are required to use this product in its intended use and the optical distortions that are present.

The fact is that many aftermarket windshields on the market today are made of acrylic due this material is cheaper than polycarbonate "PC". We as consumers have to take our own risk when purchasing products ranging from the jam we put on your toast to tires we put onto vehicles. Buyer beware...

Be safe out there and remember to keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:

tawilke46

Very good review Bruce.
I currently have a Cee Bailey +4 on my NT. My issue with it is it flexes too much for my taste. Otherwise is a fine windscreen. Cee Bailey no longer makes a windscreen for the NT.
Also bought and tried a National Cycle V Stream windscreen. Made from PC but had distortion where bends occured while forming the screen. Now sits in a box in my attic.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Thanks. :headbang:

I also have a V-Stream windshield that I bought off another member of this forum. I did not notice as many optical distortions in this shield when compared to the Ermax. The V-Stream is a well-made shield, however, it is not well suited for warmer climates. The PC will allow it to flex while in use and will not shatter even if struck with a large object at highway speeds.

[video=youtube;sCYtjp_RQ9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYtjp_RQ9s[/video]

The Ermax is a nice looking shield, however, it is made of acrylic and there is some risk involved with using it. I will use this shield during the warmer months and put the V-Stream back on in the colder months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I quick update regarding this windshield within the last couple months of use. Within only a few weeks of use, I started to notice internal stress cracks starting to form deep inside the material in multiple locations, which are only visible in bright ambient lighting at certain angles.

I would not recommend anyone to purchase this windshield made this manufacturer.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The 7jurock windscreens appear to be made from acrylic if that is a concern to anyone

Top Bottom