European front fog lights for Deauville?

CommuterNT

Has anybody installed or seen an NT with the Honda accessories Fog Light set that looks to be only found in Europe? I'm curious, they look pretty sweet in the pictures. They are kind of spendy but if you are throwing down the cash for some D2's its not too big of a jump in price except for the shipping to the U.S. Anybody with some pics on a bike or experience would be cool.

Here's a link to one of the websites that carries them in the UK. http://http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nt700v-deauville_model15892/08v31-mew-801-front_08v31mew800/

Hope I did the picture link right, otherwise just go to the web link to see a picture.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree that they look great. My only issue would be the beam spread. If they're fog lights, I think they'd have a pretty wide beam and not be as bright or focused a light. I've got the D1s and get a lot of benefit from them when riding at night, plus they're focused enough that I rarely if ever get flashed by oncoming vehicles.

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Have them fitted to mine to improve the dipped beam lighting. Very expensive from Honda - picked mine up in bits and pieces from eBay, but still not that cheap. Easy enough to fit (especially if you already have the lower cowl as it shares some brackets) and certainly helps the lighting and your visibility. Looks good on the bike and being 35W each do not drain the battery, even with heated grips. There are other options out there that will work as well - depends if you want to see or be seen which you choose!! The beam is spread and relatively flat so they are set to make a bigger spread of dipped beam lighting - main beam (sorry hi beam....) is absolutely fine and needs no help in my view. All four bulbs on certainly lights up the scenery!!!!!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Like Phil, I have D-1s mounted on the fender and they do a great job. I am sure that the D-1s could just as well be mounted European Style. Phil and I both have the Honda Undercowl. The D-1s use very little power because they are LED.

OP
OP

CommuterNT

I was thinking more for the looks and then if they functioned well enough. I kind of suspected since they are a bit recessed that they might not throw as useful of a beam on the road and more for just being seen. I think a set of these with some D1's mounted high and the mirrors as some have done would look pretty cool and cover your lighting and and being seen issues.

Honestly these are pretty far down on my farkle list. If anybody else has any input on them please keep contributing as I haven't seen this talked about anywhere else in a thread.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think a set of these with some D1's mounted high and the mirrors as some have done would look pretty cool and cover your lighting and and being seen issues.
I agree that that combo would make a good-looking and good-working setup.

Bike
NT700VA-7
I have some of these installed on my NT700VA-7. Unfortunately the switch did not last - first the lamp went then the switch itself. I have replaced it with a momentary illuminated push button, which still looks good, but being exposed they don't seem to hold up well to the british weather.

Does anyone know where is the relay for this? The kit just looks like it comes with all the brackets, the lamps, the switch and a couple of leads, but there must be some kind of latching relay somewhere.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Can't find a relay, so I'd assume a latching switch, P/N 08V31-MEW-80108, discontinued, rare as hen's teeth...

Similar set was used on a fog light kit for the Trans Alp though...

I'd also check the sub harness connectors, located behind the LHS upper fairing...
If the fog lamps are LED, which I presume they are, they probably only draw ~6 amps thus a relay is not required as the switch itself will be capable of carrying the load.

Mike

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
The fog lamps as supplied from Honda are not LED and mine have worked perfectly for 12 years now. They are a standard 35W H8 halogen bulb though as I have not needed to investigate the innards to change a bulb I don't know if there are any suitable LEDS that would do either. I do have the fitting instructions from Honda which show a 'fog light control unit' (P/N 08V38-MEW-800) which sits somewhere near the LH front of the bike strapped to a lot of other wires, presume this is a relay of some form. Instructions are very clear with 36 items to be fitted..........

Top Bottom