European Motorcycle Adventure

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
We've just returned from our two week motorcycle tour in Europe... yes, I know we didn't ride a Deauville... a former student living in Prague rented me his BMW K 1200... I'm afraid to get back on the NT. :rolleyes1: Wow does that thing go!

Impressions of riding in Europe...
1. The roads are in amazing shape and people do drive fast but doesn't seem to matter as much because of road condition. My wife even let me take it up to 140 km/hr and this was after she had figured out the conversion.

2. The weather was perfect for riding. We had a bunch of days in the 70's and never got close to 90 The down side was a fair amount of rain. Had one 30 km ride in a heavy down pour with big wind gusts, but had the new Michelins like the one's Rick brags about and loved them. Might just switch from the BT 023s that I' ve been defending.
3. I was surprised to see as many Harley type cruisers as I did. I think the whole weekend group rider/cruiser image is catching on over there, But still overwhelming sport tourer/sport bikes. They wave too.
6. Gas prices are a killer but we camped and stayed in two monasteries very cheaply and tried to avoid restaurants eating as much as possible. Still with the plane ride, rental, lodging and gas it was pricey. Let me see if I can find a Euro ride map to show where we went.

No trip is without it's problems... My front brake line sprung a leak in the Alps! We had to nurse out way back to BMW head quarters in Munich to get it fixed... using only a back brake. Needless to say, I didn't do any wild twisties in the Alps like I had hoped. Oh, Motorcycle repairs in Europe are VERY expensive and I don't think it's just the weak dollar.

Here are a few pictures.

Here's a wet day doing my least favorite activity... filling it up. I never did figure out what the price per gallon was... ignorance was bliss.

Does she like riding or what!!! Love this smile on her face.

Here's the first BMW repair shop. It was going to take them 3 days to get the part so we pushed on to Munich BMW head quarters. BTW, I like the German "Motorrad" name for cycles... cooler than motorcycle.

Here's me next to the REI tent that Igo recommended. Love this tent, pads, sleeping bag that we got from REI that all fit in the 52L top case.

Here's one of the updated 13th century Monastery Rooms that we stayed in outside of Vienna.

Here's my former student who made the ride possible.

Now we're planning where to go next summer.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Wow! What great fun! Even with the brake mishap. Thanks for the report.
Ken

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It looks like it was a great trip. What is the yellow thing parked with the bikes at the BMW repair shop ?

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Glad to hear you are back safe and had a good time. The best part is the note of going back next year. Life is good, Enjoy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm glad you had such a great time. Riding in Europe is a different experience...I wish everyone could do it for a few weeks. Thanks for sharing your pix and words.

Top Bottom