excessive front brake lever travel

Bike
2010 Silver NT700ABS
I feel like I have excessive lever travel on my 2010 NT700 ABS. I bought the bike new from a dealer a year and a half ago and let the dealer pass it off as minor. It doesn't go as far as the grip, so the brakes still work adequately. I've had the brakes bled with no improvement. I have about 10,000 miles now. The only thing I can think of changing is to use the stainless braided lines but not sure it is worth the expense. Is anyone else having his problem?
Thanks,

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My bike is a non-ABS model but I find the front brakes to be fine. Strong and good feel.
I am not all that excited about the rear brake, I find it weak. I have checked it out and like you on your front have done a lot of bleeding of brake fluid. If I concentrate on rear brake pedal I can make the rear end lock up and skid, so it is not too bad in reality but I wish the rear brake was as strong as the front on my bike. I realize that the rear feels different because it is also squeezing one front piston.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
On my ABS version the brake lever moves very little. I can use one finger on it with the rest on the grip and the lever doesn't even come close to my fingers. Something sounds screwed up.

Tomorrow I can go out and measure my lever travel and let you know what it is.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I noticed the same thing (Excessive lever travel on my 2010 abs model) and was quit concerned.
I could easily squeeze the lever all the way to the throttle grip.
I thought it was a bad master cylinder and started looking for a repair kit.
However, when I went to the Honda dealer, he told me that it was normal for the ABS model. Furthermore, I walked out to the showroom floor and tested the levers on two NT's and a three ST's. All of the ABS models had the same feel to the front brake lever.
I was a little sceptical at first, but road testing the brakes demonstrated that they have all the stopping power you need.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Turn the adjusting nut on the brake lever to reduce (or increase) the travel.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Brake lever travel distance is very subjective as everyone has a different idea of what's normal, plus you have a wide gamut of hand strength from person-to-person. You'd really have to use a spring scale to accurately measure how much force is required to make the lever "almost" touch the grip but to me the only real test is - does it stop the bike? What feels wimpy in the garage can be quite the opposite when riding and having to make an emergency stop.

In response to JQL, turning the adjuster at the lever only changes the reach distance but lever travel remains the same - it's just closer or further from the grip.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, not sure about others, but, the total brake lever travel measured on mine at the ball end is 1.75" (ABS version).

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700ABS
I don't think mine moves quite 1.75 inches so think I will move this over into my
"Don't worry about" column. Thanks for you responses.

Top Bottom