Farkling Covert Ops

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
A cautionary Tale! Logistics must be a serious consideration in every plan!
I AM BEING WATCHED! No more deliveries, USPS, FEDEX, UPS, messenger, etc. To make a short story long:

I have owned my Shadow for 27 years and considered a helmet as the only accessory.
Can you imagine the pent up Farkle urge / accessory self-justification that I have built up? Not a pretty outcome.
After I got my NT, I decided to add a GPS mount which led to a hardwire electrical plan. If you are going to string wire, you might as well do it all at once with a comprehensive plan... right?
I researched and ordered a mount, RAM Parts, Posi-things, FuzeBlock, connectors, Battery Tender, fuses, GPS voltage adapter, plug outlet, shrink tube, LED turn signal reminders, grips, throttle lock, etc. (Thanks to all for field testing and How-To's.)

The trouble started on about the fourth or fifth consecutive day of package deliveries and inquiries from spouse about all the packages. I started to intercept the postperson but don't know if I was totally successful. It was impossible to conceal the Brown delivery truck in front of the house. My salvation was that I spent most of my time in the Garage working on the NT or riding the Shadow (mostly to get farkling odds and ends around town).

I was happily running wire on the NT in the Garage when it happened.... My bride was working in the front garden when the UPS truck pulled up. She gave me a look that would wilt rebar and changed her grasp on the garden hoe to the classic samurai sword grip. I was frozen and trapped with only a pair of wire strippers for defense. The delivery person jumped out of the truck with a ZAPPOS box and went to the neighbor's house. I weakly said,"Looks like V got a new pair of shoes" thinking that shoes would be a distraction. She swung the hoe and took out several plants and a shrub.... point taken!

I am now working on a Covert Farkling plan. How does an unexplained Top Box appear on the back of the motorcycle? Honda Gnomes!:rolleyes1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I understand your feelings of panic and dismay. I am blessed to be married to a woman who only rarely questions my purchasing decisions. She assumes that if I buy something for the bike it probably makes it safer or more functional in some vitally important way. Plus, when I bought the NT in April, 2010, I "explained" to her that I would need to make a number of purchases (some from foreign countries) to make the NT fit me and my riding style perfectly. She said that she understood.

Nevertheless, after the 15th delivery or so, she began to raise her eyebrows a bit, so I devised another plan. I started having deliveries made at my workplace. She never thinks much about it when I'm in the garage working on the bike, and I (fortunately) made big visible purchases like the top case up front.

I'm grateful that any farkles I add from now on will be relatively low visibility items.

maxweljames

My wife knew up front that the Givi top box was getting ordered the same week I picked up the NT, so no complaints there. But I was getting such a good price on it compared to the Honda box that I figured I'd throw in the matching color cover and brake light kit(and liner, cough) I got raised eyebrows at the throttle lock, which by all accounts was probably one of the cheapest farkles I've ever installed. About once a month I make a small comment about how glad I am to have it, "Best $30 I've ever spent on a motorcycle" Just to reinforce what a good thing it was to spend money. Then to sweeten the farkle pot I ordered her a brand new Tour Master jacket (and a new helmet for myself). Now I blame Phil for the tongue lashing I got. It was his tank bag that threw her over the edge. Even showing her the money savings over buying a new bag wasn't enough to convince her. And it doesn't help that I've yet to use it, LOL. It did bring a smile to her face when I told her I missed out on Phil's first set of panniers. "You've spent enough on that bike, you don't need those larger covers."

So this leads me to the current plan. You must show a need for said farkle. Even if it's completely invented. With the deep desire to turn my NT into a Deauville via larger panniers I had to show that the current sides are too small, couple that with an E55 GIVI and large(unused) tank bag. So what did I do? I filled up the NT with everything I could think of, especially if she's riding with me. Yep, throwing in both jackets, both helmets, her purse, rain gear, 3 sets of gloves, cargo netting, ball cap. I even tossed in my tote bag from work. "Look how full every area is." So when Phil's second set of pans came available I jumped without asking, then shmoozed her with UK websites showing more than 2X the price I was paying. I then spent a total of $17 buying paint that almost matches and a replacement emblem. Combine that with minimal labor time, she was actually accepting of the new pans.

Riding a wave of success I'm gunning for a power outlet this weekend. I picked up a screw last weekend and ended up "sticky worming" the hole. I told her to put "get tire repair kit for NT" on the weekend list. She agreed that a new back up was in order. So I'm thinking I'll just pick up one with an electric pump. Then the outlet will be required.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Way to think, Maxwel! Creative thinking will overcome any objections.

Mike #1334

How does an unexplained Top Box appear on the back of the motorcycle? Honda Gnomes!:rolleyes1:
Clearly the salesman included the top box in with the deal for the NT free of charge, but it was on backorder and its just coming in now...

elizilla

It's good to have my own finances. No one but me has to care about my farkle addiction.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
It's good to have my own finances. No one but me has to care about my farkle addiction.
+1 :D

But then I did get the Dealer to do most of mine when I ordered the bike. The only thing I've personally added was the Stebel Nautilus Horn (absolutely the best buy IMO).

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My wife is pretty good about my NT farkling habit, after going through a H-D being farkled the NT has been cheap...:rolleyes1:

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Spouse response: No problem with new helmet, coat, pants, boots. I think it was more about the continuing stream of packages coming to the house (none for her) and then disappearing in the garage. Dealer included Wind Deflectors, but they came by UPS.

On a different note, the rear turn signal on SHADOW is hanging loose. Fancy turn signal stalk screw is missing ..... I suspect it is jealous.

johnha

If you had properly started them out with low enough standards, you all would have nothing to worry about.

Good story, Frosty. To avoid the hoe, you could get packages delivered to an alternate location.

Lincolnshire Poacher

This is all well and good, but what really bothers me is that if my wife outlives me she may well sell all I have bought for the price she thinks I paid for it.:frown:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My wife and I have a long standing deal. She does not question what I spend my money on and I don't question what she spends her money on. Its worked for 40 years of marriage.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
My wife and I have a long standing deal. She does not question what I spend my money on and I don't question what she spends her money on. Its worked for 40 years of marriage.
My wife and I have a deal as well: She does not question what I spend my money on and I don't question what she spends my money on. It has worked well so far.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
My "Postwoman" tells my wife I have an "Ebay sickness", and enjoys seeing the look on her face when another package arrives addressed to me. Thank goodness she doesn't know about at least some of the stuff UPS and FEDEX deliver to me at work. But I have to keep reminding them, that it as closer to deliver where I work than have to drive to my house. They get some perverse delight in knocking on my door and handing the package/box to the lady of the house.
She can spy something different on my motorcycle or in my closet, or in my "guitar" room, just by the sense of smell. I never ask what she buys. Luckily for me, she hates shopping, and computers.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm just grateful that with my second wife, I've managed to learn to not spend money I don't have, and that my second wife is responsible enough with her money that we aren't constantly trying to dig our way out of a hole that's caving in on us.

It wasn't all my first wife's fault, but we just did not manage our finances very well.

elizilla

It wasn't all my first wife's fault, but we just did not manage our finances very well.
I grew up in a household like that. Now that I'm the grownup deciding how to handle things, I won't have it. I've had good times and bad times, financially, but frankly nothing the creditors can do to you is as bad as fighting about it with someone you care about, whose good opinion actually matters to you.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Well said, Katherine.

...Now all these farkling posts forced me to place 2 orders: a Go Cruise device and Bestem saddle bags. I hate giving in to this constant peer pressure.

Top Bottom