Fifth Time's The Charm: Roadcrafter Ultralight

Consider this the latest installment in Chris' gear addiction saga. I have had four one-piece riding suits over the past decade or so, and ended up ebay'ing all of them. These included a regular Roadcrafter (too heavy, too much material, and hard to store on bike); an Olympia Phantom (size large way too big in the torso), and an Olympia Stealth (size medium, great in torso but short in legs and arms). You'd think I'd learn.

But I just jumped in the pool again for a sale-priced Roadcrafter Ultralight. (Aerostich selling these off to make way for slightly upgraded Tactical Light.) I think I have finally found my one-piece match. Perfect fit, packs easily in my NT top case, and works great on the bike. I have also decided over the summer than mesh is overrated and that a light non-mesh garment with good vents (exactly like the ultralight) can actually be cooler.

I expect to continue to use my heavier Oly AST and Darien pants for touring and longer rides, but for jaunts around the area or out to my favorite hiking spots, the Ultralight will be getting a lot of use.

On the topic of riding gear, I wish there were some independent study evaluating how well ballistic nylon and armor actually work in crashes. I recognize it would be difficult to do, but riders collectively spend a lot of money on gear, and most end up making subjective decisions about the level of protection that's needed. Or so it seems to me. Does shoulder armor help? Hip armor? Is 500 ballistic nylon really better than 200? Does CE armor rating mean anything in practice? How effective are back protectors or chest protectors? The best comments I have found so far are on the Aerostich site. Because they actually repair their gear, they at least have some understanding on how the gear performed. But even their comments are scattered and anecdotal, and largely reflect the abrasion-protection a piece of gear provided, rather than injury protection.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only good ratings for gear are the European CE ratings. They are typically not directed at motorcycles, but, at industrial usage. The CE does have standards for fabric durability but few mfgs bother with it.

When I was researching riding gear I found no suitable testing group in the US. It will probably take some sort of incident, like the one that got Snell started, to get something about riding gear. But, I doubt that will ever happen. After all, probably 90% of the riders in the US really don't care, they'd rather wear chaps and leather vests (and no helmets).

Combine that with the purpose of most riding gear (not helmets), ie, it is to minimize the "superficial" injuries in a crash. Won't make it so you survive what is a typical lethal accident, just means you will have fewer broken bones and cuts/abrasions.

Bottom line for me was, will it survive one crash? The answer to that is basically a 'yes' for just about all garments, even the really cheap stuff. The only exception to that may be pants. You want a pair that will survive the slide to protect you from road rash. Doesn't take very much but a single layer of nylon probably won't do it, especially in the outer thigh and butt. Thicker and more durable the better. How much is enough? Depends on your crash. At 100mph you will slide a LONG way (unless you hit something first). At 10mph even a pair of jeans might work.

Armor. I want elbow, shoulder, knee and back as a minimum. Back protectors that come with jackets are typically just a foam pad. Trash them and get a CE rated one. Hip pads are also typically just a foam pad, not much use. And if you have a roll of fat around the middle that will probably do just as well (not kidding).

All this is just my opinion after doing about a year of looking around and researching. Even considered setting up a test lab, but, not worth the trouble.

Bottom line was cost had little to do with protection ability.

OP
OP
At 10mph even a pair of jeans might work.
I do everything I can to dissuade riders, politely, not to ride with jeans unless they are reinforced (kevlar or whatever). The cotton in jeans just shreds as soon as it hits pavement.

But otherwise I agree with you. And I expect that no real study will be done. Too hard to evaluate and no one is really pushing for it. Anyway, if a study were completed and decided xx riding gear was the best, would we face pressure to mandate that every rider wear xx gear?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Wearing the right gear is important and not getting on the back of a motorcycle with an idiot is equally important.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's why I said 10mph for jeans. Been there. They didn't rip cause I really didn't slide anywhere. Just kinda rolled over once.

If you really want good sliding protection then racing leathers are the way to go.

Top Bottom