Filter wrench and oil filter question

prof98801

Since my one year warranty is about to expire in two months, I will be doing my own oil/filter changing. Many of you already do this so would you respond as to the type of wrench used and type of oil filter other than Honda's? Thanks.

I have one of those wrench type removers but seldom need more than my hand. I get my filters from KMart... ST 6607(I think). Cheap but well rated and I change with every oil change.

I have the older version of Mellow's wrench just has filter end works very well on the NT. jim

That's the one I have.. glad I never sold it when I sold my wing. That thing will last forever.. LOL

I like the K&N filters with a nut on them too.

I also found that after the dealer puts on a filter there is a bit of torque needed to get the old one off. I found that a largish pipe wrench works well :) Hardly even crushes the filter either.

I have a wrench similar to Mellow's that I picked up at the Honda shop but have not used it yet. I got it as a replacement for one that fits over the end of the filter. That one did not have enough clearance to slip it on the filter. It was a generic from Auto-Zone I think.

Do make sure you buy the shorter oil filters. They are common and Honda uses them on several models but the longer ones will screw on OK but when you take the bike off the centerstand, the top of the stand may dent or cut the filter. See pictures in gallery under "oil filter trouble". I tried to cross reference filters when ordering and ended up with 2 or 3 long filters. Don't do that.

Brad

Rotella T6 5W-40, Fram TG6607. Get them for a good price at Wally World. No wrench, just my manly hand and brute strength... :weight1:

Back
Top Bottom