Final Drive drain plug torque

It's always puzzled me that Honda do not quote a torque figure for the final drive drain plug on the 700 Deauville.
I have just been changing the final drive oil on my mates 2019 1800 Goldwing and noticed the drain plug (and washer) is exactly the same as the one on my 700 Deauville, same part numbers as well.
The torque figure quoted in the manual for the Wing final drive drain plug is 9 lb/ft or 12 Nm so I guess that would be appropriate for the Deauville as well, seeing as the plug and washer are the same.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
It has an o ring for it. I don't torque wrench any oil plug. The oil interacting with plug will tighten more than it has to be for the rating. Then you might have trouble getting it off. So it's snug it up, just a slight more push to tighten.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
During my NT ownership, I always torqued everything to spec, per the service manual. Nothing ever leaked or came loose, and fasteners were easy to remove during later servicing. Given that the NT is long out of production, it's a good idea.

That's my policy and I'm sticking with it :thumb:

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
The old rule of thumb I've used on low-torque plugs is snug plus 1/8th turn. (Snug being where it starts to offer some resistance.)
If you have a torque value, that's better.

Reactions: JQL

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Also, be sure to use a 1/4" drive torque wrench on these. The spec'd value is at the low end of a 3/8" drive wrench's range, and won't be accurate.

Last edited:

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Re the final drive drain plug: is there a Honda specified crush washer for that plug, or will just any old washer do?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If you look up the Final Drive on Partzilla, you can find the part number for the sealing washer.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I love these discussions! In aircraft mechanics school, we spent alot of time on torque. Wet threads, dry threads, bolt sizes...quality hardware, cheep pot metal junk. Bluepoint stud extractoers, Helicoils, etc One day, I was setting the valves on my Kawasaki C10 Connie and was torquing the screw adjuster nuts and decided to test myself against a torque wrench. I wasnt even close. Some specs dont even make sense. The drain plug on the FJR is supposed to be 31 ft lbs....too tight!.. I will continue to use new crush washers and my torque wrench. And no, I didnt drill the bolts for safety wire.
1688619993878.png

Here is a guy who purposely over tightens a drain plug to see what happens.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I always tighten the drain plug by hand and have never had a problem.

At least on Honda, the oil drain plug washer develops a ridge and can start to leak from that point. It happened on my son's Civic. Years ago, I started using emery paper on a flat surface and sanding both sides of the drain plug washer and made it like new again with that ridge removed! And I do have a ample supply of new washers if need be.

Top Bottom