Final drive OK ... I hope...

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
So yesterday went on a ride I've been wanting to do up two-thirds of The Triple Nickel [ Ohio rt.555 ] . Installed my new lower cowl and changed final drive lube before ride . For lube I use Redline 80w motorcycle synthetic with shockproof , have been using this in 2010 VFR with no issues . Total round trip about 230 mi. with 75 mph interstates getting there and back . On the way back , about 40 mi. out , took a break to eat the lunch I had packed . 3:30 p by then , having too much fun ! Noticed on the left rear rim where fluid had been dripping out of the hole in that plastic shroud between the rim and drive hub . Not a lot but spotting all over the left rear rim . My day went from very good to not so good very quickly . Could tell it was final drive lube , the vent was not wet at all just the hole from the plastic shroud . Wiped the rim down got out the Windex and cleaned everything off best I could . Was watching temp and trying to see if I could feel or hear anything the 40 mi. home . Everything seemed OK . Hoping that somehow it was overfilled , today removed the fill cap and a few drops ran out . Removed about another tablespoon , put the cap back on and washed down the rim and tire . The Redline shockproof has stuff in it that makes it cling , so I'm hoping that when I changed it some of it was still sticking to the gears and internals , when it warmed more and became more fluid it became over full and ran out . Am wondering if this [ the hole in plastic shroud ] is a normal place to leak from a overfull condition of final drive ?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Good luck with the final drive. I'm sure it has you wondering now.
How do you overfill the final drive? Others have mentioned it and the repair manual lists overfilling as a cause of leaks but unless the bike is leaning to the right side or maybe on a steep downhill grade I don't see how it could get too much oil. The filler cap comes off and you fill till it runs out.
The oil is thick (80W) and if cold it could stick to parts inside.
Maybe I work so slow that I give it plenty of time to level itself out.

Brad

Top Bottom