Finally got heated gloves, too many wires!

rcase13

I finally got a set of Gerbings T5 heated gloves, wow are they nice. Which is good because I had to sell my first born to afford them. I only have the gloves so I only have the long Y cable. I notice one part of the Y is longer. I assume this is for the right arm as the cable is exiting on the left side. I am tall with monkey arms and the cables are still too long. I need to figure out what to do with all the excess cables. It seems like they are everywhere! Do people route them behind you or in front? Oh well I will figure something out. Meanwhile my hands are toasty warm.The fingers are in the wind so they are not as warm. The back side is not in the wind so it gets a little hotter. I may still get the factory wings to block air flow over the handles. My problem with them is I like the wind in the summers. It gets hot here.

Finally I need to get some Nikiwax and waterproof them. They have a waterproof liner but the leather will still soak up water. I want to be carefull what I use because the leather is so nice and buttery soft. I don't want to mess that up.

silverdevil

I don't know about Nikiwax but I do know about Neatsfoot oil, replaces natural oils, softens & waterproofs, good for ALL leathers

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
A heated jacket liner will solve your problem. Then you need to get the dual control. It is a never ending process. After that heated grips for your bike. :smile:

OP
OP

rcase13

A heated jacket liner will solve your problem. Then you need to get the dual control. It is a never ending process. After that heated grips for your bike. :smile:
I was smart and already got the dual control. The jacket is on the list but my feet come first. Oddly enough it's only my hands and feet that get cold.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I checked my G3 gloves and if I did it right thru were 13 ohms.
Sounds about right. I would imagine all the gloves on the market are in the range of 20-30 watts per pair. Watts is watts regardless of the glove manufacturer.

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
If your jacket has a liner, run the Y-harness for your gloves between the inner and outer liners. This will help keep the wires "out of sight".

I would run the wires down the backside of the jacket as opposed to running them down the front. This allows you to leave the harness in the jacket and just put the jacket on/off like normal.

Figure out the length of wire you need and then loop the excess up and zip-tie it to keep it up and out of the way.

You'll run into the same issue with the socks. If you have riding pants and they have removable liners, run the wires between the liners. Loop up the excess at your waist and zip-tie it.

The heated jacket and pant liners definitely make plugging in the gloves and socks a bit easier.

Oh, if you want to make those gloves warmer since you are getting wind on them, get some overgloves (used to keep you're gloves/hands dry in the rain and warmer in the cold). The protection from the wind will make a big difference in the ability of the heated gloves to maintain heat. My wife and I have used the Rain-off overgloves for 4 years now. They are fantastic. Overgloves may be a more appealing option that adding the wind guards to your bike.

I finally got a set of Gerbings T5 heated gloves, wow are they nice. Which is good because I had to sell my first born to afford them. I only have the gloves so I only have the long Y cable. I notice one part of the Y is longer. I assume this is for the right arm as the cable is exiting on the left side. I am tall with monkey arms and the cables are still too long. I need to figure out what to do with all the excess cables. It seems like they are everywhere! Do people route them behind you or in front? Oh well I will figure something out. Meanwhile my hands are toasty warm.The fingers are in the wind so they are not as warm. The back side is not in the wind so it gets a little hotter. I may still get the factory wings to block air flow over the handles. My problem with them is I like the wind in the summers. It gets hot here.

Finally I need to get some Nikiwax and waterproof them. They have a waterproof liner but the leather will still soak up water. I want to be carefull what I use because the leather is so nice and buttery soft. I don't want to mess that up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom