Finally!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It was a lovely day here in southeastern Colorado -- the temperature was 57 when I got out of church. I took a nap for an hour or so and then set off to do a 233-miles ride. I didn't go to the mountains, but instead went east to Lamar, then south towards Springfield, west through Prichert to Kim, then back north on Colorado 109 to La Junta and home.

This route isn't as scenic as something on the west side of Rocky Ford but has its attractions. Springfield and Pritchett were talked about in Timothy Egan's great book about the Dust Bowl, "The Worst Hard Time." Both communities have hung on but cling to the edge of disaster and are back in extreme drought conditions. North of Springfield is a fairly large wind farm, and the city has one wind turbine of their own a few miles south. I noticed that the ground around them was actually ... well, not wet, but at least damp. They got quite a bit of snow early last week and hopefully that's a harbinger of more moisture to come this spring.

Between Pritchert and La Junta, I was on US-160 and then CO-109, on the east side of the Purgatoire River (the river the mountain men of the early 1800s called the "Picketwire" because they didn't speak French very well). On the west side of the river is the Pima Canyon Military Reservation. The Army has wanted to do a huge expansion of this area but the ranchers seem to be in unanimous agreement that they aren't interested in selling. Nearly everywhere I rode today (with the exception of 287 between Springfield and Lamar) I saw the signs that I'd seen between Trinidad and Rocky Ford and between Walsenburg and Rocky Ford: "This Land is NOT four sale to the US Army!"

It was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed the ride and the wildlife. I saw two eagles, a Bald and a Golden, within 10 miles of each other between Las Animas and Lamar along US- 50. Then there were bunches of hawks and lots of pronghorn antelope.

And there was a magnificent panorama of mountains. From about 15 miles north of Kim, I could see Pikes Peak, over 14,000' and 132 miles away. Due west of me, were the Spanish Peaks, not quite 100 miles away. Between the two were the Wet Mountains and behind them the northern part of the Sangre de Christos range. In all I was looking at well over 100 miles of mountains profiled against the western sky.

Surely it won't be another 3 weeks before I can ride!

http://goo.gl/maps/0gNIK

Wow - sounds like fun .. Are those antelope wild /? I have no idea. If you see a horn on the side of the road - I'll buy it, like them beasts..

Looks like I may get my bike out this week. They were blading the slush off the street in front of my house last night. I usually ride the county roads as they don't lay layers of salt on them in the winter. Spent yesterday getting all the ice out of the rain gutters. Need to change over to the seamless one.

It's supposed to hit 47 here today. Muddy brown grass is visible at the edges of south facing snow berms, where there's plenty of salt and a little sun, they have receded a bit from the edges of the road. The giant snow pile across the street is still bigger than my house, but it now looks like a dirt pile because the white has melted off it. The snow pile next to my driveway is low enough that if I were on the bike I could see over it. Can't see over it from my station wagon yet, so I think that I'll have to take the motorcycle out instead. For safety coming out of my driveway. Yeah, safety.

NOAA has issued a hydrologic forecast. They say we have 3 to 5 inches of water still locked up in all this snow, and the ground has a couple feet of frost depth, so the forecast is for flooding. Hopefully I won't get water in my downstairs garage.

On my first big motorcycle trip i went west and followed 160 through the Commanche grass lands. It was one of the loneliest roads I have been on. I was there at the beginning of spring (May) and it had a subtle beauty that I found calming. I think I went over 30 minutes without seeing another vehicle. I have a few photos of the area in my album here. I saw plenty of those antelope. I came up on a group and slowed down as I got close they sprinted between the road and fence looking for a way out. I matched their speed and the NT said they were running at nearly 45mph!

I saw plenty of those antelope. I came up on a group and slowed down as I got close they sprinted between the road and fence looking for a way out. I matched their speed and the NT said they were running at nearly 45mph!

You're right about US-160 being a lonely road. I'd bet it has less traffic than US-50 in Nevada, the supposedly "Loneliest Highway in America."

And the pronghorns are fast. I'd guess that they can maintain 40-45mph for ten or fifteen miles. I've heard that they can hit 60mph for short bursts. I used to hunt them with my black-powder .54-caliber Hawken when I lived in Wyoming and hunted. They are very wary animals and it's tough to get close enough for a shot with a black-powder rifle. I would lie face down in the grass with my handkerchief tied to my ramrod and let the hankie blow in the breeze. The goats -- they're not goats, but the mountain men called them that, and I was trying to be a mountain man... :) -- would get curious and gradually move my way. It could take an hour or so before they'd get close enough for a shot and about half the time, before they'd get close some danged Greenies (that's what us Wyoming hunters called interloping hunters from Colorado) would come blasting past in their Jeeps and chase 'em out of the country for the rest of the afternoon. That's when I've seen them run for 10-15 miles without ever really slowing down.

Amazing animals!

Oh, BTW, Skiper, even when I was hunting them, I never found a cast off horn. I was always hunting does because the permit for them was so cheap and because I was interested in the meat. My theory was that doe meat would be better because it would be less testosterone-infused. I don't know if that was true or not, but antelope meat was pretty good.

Pronghorns are supposed to be the fastest land animal in North America. When I was pedaling across the country, I came over a hill in Wyoming and encountered one between the road and the fence. It started downhill along the fenceline and I pedaled along side as fast as I could, hitting about 30 mph on my loaded touring bike. The antelope was just cruising and I could hear his breathing and hoofbeats as we went. Beautiful creature. I like the stripes on their faces.

I once heard someone refer to them as "speed goats".

They are pretty amazing physiologically. Their lower legs aren't much more than bone and tendon, their hooves have incredible grip and absorb huge amounts of force when they run, their cardio-pulmonary systems have to be at the top of the ladder. It's not just that they're fast, it's also that they have amazing endurance. They're not like the cats, cheetahs in particular, who've got one really good high-speed burst in them -- they can cruise at the 30mph pace for long, long distances.

We used to hunt on the north side of the Ferris Mountain range, just east of WY-220 and about 70 miles SW of Casper. We had views of territory stretching 30-40 miles, and with binoculars you could track groups of pronghorns out across a good bit of that distance. We'd watch 'em move and were constantly amazed at how far they'd travel at that "speed goat cruising speed."

Back
Top Bottom