Fingered my vent hole

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am rethinking covering up those rear vent holes. It was yet another cool day (50s) here but I was desparate for a ride so as I was cruising down a lonely road at 50 mph, I locked the throttle, took off my glove, and put a finger into the starboard vent hole near the pannier. It is quite toasty in there, actually, even on a 50 degree day.....it might get very hot on a 90 degree day, whatever that is......

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
There is a lot of heat to get rid of. I was surprized how hot the rear gear case area gets on one of those 90 deg days. Of course the gear case is mounted directly behind the heat generating engine, exhaust, and road temps in summer are also way up there.

Brad

subgenius

Fingered my vent hole

too funny :rofl1:
<OFF TOPIC A LITTLE>
Yeah...I was at work when I first saw the subject so, decided not to touch it until I got home. Now that I see what it's ab00t, hopefully, the double entendre was intended? As "Chuck" suggested, funny regardless :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :eek:
</OFF TOPIC A LITTLE>

Thx for performing this test, "...for duty and whoomanity..." :D At least now, I'm not as tempted to plug/cover them. Seems like they were put there for a purpose - to "vent" hot air. :shrug2:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The more I work on my Honda, the more impressed I get with their engineering (even the panniers--certainly the engineers did not spec in heavy grease. ) Without the grease they are fine.

I just finished installing the Honda Undercowl Kit--Part #08F71-MEW-800. On the surface, it does not look like a lot. It has curves and vents and all that stuff and looks very ho hum. On closer examination, there is a lot of engineering that went into that piece of equipment---similar to the wind deflectors. That undercowl will direct rain away from your feet as well as cold air. It does not interfere with the radiator or anything else for that matter. Once everything is snugged down, it is rock solid. I'll leave it flat black to match the radiator cowl. I think that I will leave the pannier vents alone.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The more I work on my Honda, the more impressed I get with their engineering (even the panniers--certainly the engineers did not spec in heavy grease. ) Without the grease they are fine.

I just finished installing the Honda Undercowl Kit--Part #08F71-MEW-800. On the surface, it does not look like a lot. It has curves and vents and all that stuff and looks very ho hum. On closer examination, there is a lot of engineering that went into that piece of equipment---similar to the wind deflectors. That undercowl will direct rain away from your feet as well as cold air. It does not interfere with the radiator or anything else for that matter. Once everything is snugged down, it is rock solid. I'll leave it flat black to match the radiator cowl. I think that I will leave the pannier vents alone.
Cool! Post a pic....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Much more entertaining had your finger gotten stuck in there.
Actually, that wouldnt have been too exciting....what is really exciting is getting a shoe lace caught on a brake peddle and not knowing it till you are almost stopped and want to put your foot down. Dont ask me how I know this.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'm wondering why this didn't get edited for being suggestively vulgar? LOL
See how you guys are? Its all in the mind....take the pilot expression, "balls to the wall, or Balls out." All it mean is that the propeller, mixture, and throttle controls (which have little balls on the end of their stalks) are as far forward as they will go.....Then we have the Brass Monkey....:D

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Actually, that wouldnt have been too exciting....what is really exciting is getting a shoe lace caught on a brake peddle and not knowing it till you are almost stopped and want to put your foot down. Dont ask me how I know this.
Yep. Bad combo: sneakers + shift lever or footpeg.

Bike
Silver NT700V

Thanks for the impromptu review. I think this will be my next major farkle after I get vacation expenses behind me, maybe July or August.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Amazing how many interestingly stupid (or perhaps, stupidly interesting) incidents end with the phrase "Don't ask me how I know that."

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
That is why I never wear laced shoes/boots when riding. Zippers or Wellington style/slip on boots. BTDT with my old ST1100. Not fun trying to lift 700lbs off of your self.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
See how you guys are? Its all in the mind....take the pilot expression, "balls to the wall, or Balls out." All it mean is that the propeller, mixture, and throttle controls (which have little balls on the end of their stalks) are as far forward as they will go.....Then we have the Brass Monkey....:D
Canon balls stacked up on the deck of the ship.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..what is really exciting is getting a shoe lace caught on a brake peddle and not knowing it till you are almost stopped and want to put your foot down...] We warned students with lace-up boots about this possible occurrence in the MSF BRC.

What benefit would you gain by covering those slits? On the left side is the Reg/Rec which creates a lot of heat if you've ever touched one while the engine was running! And the right side has a lot of electronics.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rick,
I never did the laces trick. I also have very high arches--one of the reasons I went Airborne--jump boots were comfortable. Now I use insoles.

In 1961 I decided to ride back to Syracuse NY from Laconia NH with only short gas stops. I got about 20 miles from Syracuse and stopped for a light---was so tired that I forgot to put my feet down. I still have a scar on my leg from the exhaust on the Triumph 500. I was fortunate to have a friend along with his bike who managed to pick up the bike before it really cooked my leg. I have a healthy respect for engine heat.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I got burned by my brother's 350 scrambler about 10 yrs before I ever tried to ride a bike. I had respect for tailpipe and engine case heat beofre I was 10

Top Bottom