Fire

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
After 4 days of 100 degree heat, the cold front came and the 25-36 mph winds. As expected people caused fires (note the restraint) erupted...
We are 12 miles from the southern fire of 3,000 acres. The winds are now from the north, bringing in Canadian smoke. Ash is falling. We cant open our windows as its too smokey outside.
a watch duty.jpg

My view of the southern fire before the winds shifted. Fire is 12 miles away.

a watch duty 2.jpg

Looking north...sun is setting...winds have changed....
a watch duty 3.jpg

People heard explosions
1692423635992.png

Before the fires, 33 million acres of Canada has burned. a new record by a bunch. and fire season isnt over
1692423814042.png
1692423861358.png

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Often contracted arson by carpetbaggers so they can force (protected) woodland getting converted into building plots...
Happens frequently in southern Europe...
Wow...interesting fact....I have some interesting arsonist stories for Canada but they are not politically correct. we got one arsonist in jail....She doesnt think enough money is being spent on the homeless....set four fires....we have lots of careless people and we have lots of people who use burn barrels. This morning, the fire to the south has grown to 10k. :( Air quality is over 100.
a gray fire.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Air boss releases puffs of smoke where he/she wants the next drop to go.
IMG_20230819_083615373_copy_2725x1256.jpgIMG_20230819_083646868_copy_671x355.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Life at 410 ppm. 3M N100 works well. The air quality meter I bought says we are keeping it at about 82 ppm inside the shut up house.
a chriws.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hoping the winds push the fire back on
I90 is closed. Gray fire is over 10k. Oregon rd, 9.3 k, Winona is 2,500. Canada is out of control. Its healthier for me to wear an N100 and paint outside than be maskless inside. Inside was over 250 and outside was over 450 yesterday.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, you may want to make yourself a box fan filter. I use one in fire season using a 3M electrostatic 20x20 filter.
Right you are! Thanks... I have MERV 13 filters taped to box fans. I took my air quality meter and it went from 200 in my bedroom to under 75 in 20 minutes. Ran them all night. BTW, alarming air quality meters are very cheep. Also, if anyone has furnace/ A/C filters, they need to be MERV 13 or you wont catch all the smoke particles. Smoke is down to .3 microns. Chris with COPD.
A AIR METER.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The D channel idea is a good one. Since my COPD is cummulative, I will be using fans with filters more. I get the filters on line since ignorant stores dont carry them where we need them, which is in the Pacific NW. EVERYONE here needs them in their a c units...they just dont know it...like making your land safe.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Fires still out of control but smoke being pushed back to Canada. New fire today jumped on. Started by "illeagle campfire". Hopefully air support back in the air tomorrow. Headed to the horizontal snoore shelf about 4p and turned on my air filter and my fan with M13 filter...20 minutes later room AQI was 30!!!
IMG_20230820_155715027_HDR_copy_1108x1014.jpg

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Right you are! Thanks... I have MERV 13 filters taped to box fans. I took my air quality meter and it went from 200 in my bedroom to under 75 in 20 minutes. Ran them all night. BTW, alarming air quality meters are very cheep. Also, if anyone has furnace/ A/C filters, they need to be MERV 13 or you wont catch all the smoke particles. Smoke is down to .3 microns. Chris with COPD.
A AIR METER.jpg
Just a note of caution: Do not put MERV 13 filters in your FURNACE/Air Conditioner without checking with your HVAC guy first. You may end up replacing your furnace fan motor if the system is not built for that. Too much suction required. The box fan fan is a great idea. I have a couple of portable air purifiers that run.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just a note of caution: Do not put MERV 13 filters in your FURNACE/Air Conditioner without checking with your HVAC guy first. You may end up replacing your furnace fan motor if the system is not built for that. Too much suction required. The box fan fan is a great idea. I have a couple of portable air purifiers that run.
Quite right. The .3 micron Merv 13 puts a load on the box fans for sure....And will put a load on your HVAC motor. With the new normal in the American west, hopefully someone will change housing codes that new HVAC systems MUST be able to handle a Merv 13....We probably wont know how many people's lungs will be compromised by the smoke that now hits from WA to Maine for awhile....
We do know how many people were compromised by second hand smoke in the 1950s....

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
It is sad that you call it a new normal. Way too many fires out of control every year.
When we can sometimes see Canadian wildfire smoke in Arkansas that is out of control.
Good luck and stay safe.

Arknt

My understanding is that on private logging land, there's almost no fires. Most of it happens on government/public land because the timber is managed differently. My house in Cheney ended up ok. It's inside the city a bit and maybe 300 yards from the wheat fields there. Stay safe!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My understanding is that on private logging land, there's almost no fires. Most of it happens on government/public land because the timber is managed differently. My house in Cheney ended up ok. It's inside the city a bit and maybe 300 yards from the wheat fields there. Stay safe!
Selective logging makes for great fire protection. 14 years ago, Spokane county took prisoners out and thinned the thick woods in Riverside state park next to the city....it still looks good. I litterally kill thousands of small trees on my property with lawn tractor and weed wacker. Every year. When the wind roars, there isnt much you can do if an ember flys a half mile through the air to a place under your eves. For all other fires....good forest management is the key to safety. Thin trim and wack to the dirt.

Canada and the US refuse to admit defeat with their "let it burn" policy. You can only stop a fire right at the start...and they see them on the infra red and imagry sat data....so they are stuck.
Canada now is getting firenados.
fire nato.jpg

Canada is somewhere north of 34 million acres so far.....how big is your state?
1693084969304.png

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Had to look it up. Arkansas is just above 34 million acres.
So if you burn up an Arkansas every year it will be pretty sad in a few years.

Arknt

Top Bottom