First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket from Revzilla

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
It's a little early to be worrying about cold weather gear in Virgina, but I like to be prepared. I decided on a Kilimanjaro jacket by First Gear. I liked the layers, combined with the outer shell rain and wind protection. I really wanted to buy this from the local dealer, but they are selling the item for $299. Revzilla had the same jacket online for $199. I would have spent $25 more to purchase it from the local dealer, but I could not justify paying $100 more. I ordered the jacket yesterday at 2pm. The jacket arrived today at noon! AMAZING shipment time! I did go back to the dealer and purchased a pair of First Gear Khatmandu pants today just to finish off the set and make me feel better for supporting the local shop. (I know the jacket and pants are from a separate line, but I liked both, so I'm good with it). I'm leaning toward just getting Frogg Leggs as opposed to true waterproof shoes, but haven't yet decided...
I can't post a review, but maybe some forum members who own this jacket and/or pants would be kind enough to give me their oppinion of the gear?

--Jeff

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I about wore out my "2004" version Kilimanjaro jacket, the Red / Black one I'm wearing in my avatar, and recently purchased a new "2012" or 5.0 generation in Hi-Viz "Day Glow" Yellow and Grey at Cycle Gear.

My old jacket has mesh panels in the shoulders so it was a "pain in the rain" having to put in the liner. I like the new "solid" style for rainy weather better as I don't always want the additional warmth, along with the rain protection, I had when adding the liner in my earlier version. The liner is still pretty bulky in the new version but they compress down pretty well for sticking in a saddlebag.

The only addition I have planned for the "2012" jacket is some additional reflective material. I have a roll of sew on 3M SOLAS reflective tape that I will be adding on the back, above the air vent, the pocket flaps, and cuffs...and anywhere I can find that won't be a total pain to sewn on...

As far as my opinion I have used First Gear products for many years and have always found them to be a very good piece of equipment. That is why they got my business again...

Attachments

Last edited:

1TRAK

It's a little early to be worrying about cold weather gear in Virgina, but I like to be prepared. I decided on a Kilimanjaro jacket by First Gear. I liked the layers, combined with the outer shell rain and wind protection. I really wanted to buy this from the local dealer, but they are selling the item for $299. Revzilla had the same jacket online for $199. I would have spent $25 more to purchase it from the local dealer, but I could not justify paying $100 more. I ordered the jacket yesterday at 2pm. The jacket arrived today at noon! AMAZING shipment time! I did go back to the dealer and purchased a pair of First Gear Khatmandu pants today just to finish off the set and make me feel better for supporting the local shop. (I know the jacket and pants are from a separate line, but I liked both, so I'm good with it). I'm leaning toward just getting Frogg Leggs as opposed to true waterproof shoes, but haven't yet decided...
I can't post a review, but maybe some forum members who own this jacket and/or pants would be kind enough to give me their oppinion of the gear?

--Jeff
I have the Khatmandu jacket and pants for cold weather adventure riding and they both work well. The only complaint I have about the pants are no pockets and they leak a bit through the cloth material. Really warm with the liner and great for get offs!

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Thanks for the input, Wayne and Steve. Last winter I bundled up in too many layers for my comfort, so I'm looking forward to riding with just the jacket, pants gloves and heated grips.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I've had my Kilimanjaro 4 for over 3 years now. When the highs drop below 80 I wear it daily. Keeps me warm on a 30min ride and temps in the 20's.

Haven't had it in an all day rain, but, for an hour or so it works well.

Vents work fairly well when temps get near 80, but, if in stop and go traffic it will get toasty.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also have the 5.0 version in Hi-Viz. Even without the liner its too hot for me above 70?F. Its a heavy Jacket. On the other hand I wore it all winter and with the liner I was warm riding in under 20?F weather with just a business shirt under it. Without the liner in it you can feel air coming through the material at the inner elbow. This material is meant to be flexible for bending your arm but will let air though. Once the liner is installed its not a problem. You can also wear the liner separately like a jacket which is nice if you are at your destination and do not feel like wearing your Hi-Viz jacket to the restaurant. So far I have found it is waterproof but then again I primarily commute in it so I am not in the rain for a long time. Overall its a good jacket although I think I prefer my Scorpion Commander Hi Viz jacket. It has more pockets, better ventilation and a choice of two different liners.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
warren - i use the scorpion commander jacket as well and i love it. it breathes well enough that i wear in up to 80 degree weather. will test it in the upcoming colder weather with the liners zipped in. the huge collar on it seems like it will be a boon as well.

i did notice a closeout on the first gear venture AT mesh jacket at motorcyclegear:
$107 for a light mesh shell. same jacket sells for $199 at motorcycle superstore (although the warm weather riding is drawing to a close for many of us)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Even without the liner its too hot for me above 70?F. Its a heavy Jacket.
+1 I fully agree. I consider the Kilimanjaro to be my "winter" jacket. I wear a Fieldshear Air Tour Hi-Viz mesh jacket, sans liner, until it gets colder...

Top Bottom