First impressions?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
India and Triumph have colaborated to produce a six speed 400 lb 40 horse single cyl. pair of bikes, one more "scrambly" than the other. The X is definately taller in the saddle as 5 ft 3 in Ruriko demostrates.
Both countries obviously see a market for bikes like this.

As we get older, smaller lighter bikes that can keep up with traffic have an appeal....it will be interesting when someone actually gets to ride one.

a ruriko single.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Both of 'em are good looking scoots. The HP to weight ratio leads one to believe that comfortable highway cruising is well within its means. Fully laden, long distance touring may however be a bit much.
I'm impressed with the new little Triumphs.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I don’t think that they are the best choice for most of us who travel across the country with a heathy helping of luggage. 40 hp just isn’t enough for our highway speeds with riders the size of Americans. No replacement for displacement.

I’ll bet the best feature will be their price/value. I like the way they are set up too. The short wheelbase will be fun to ride. For local rides, commuting, and running errands they will be great. They will probably sell well.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Not to be contrarian about the horsepower factor, but two of us rode the Continental Divide Trail in July 2010 on a pair of Suzuki DR650's. Mine was an '08, and my bud's was a 2010. Other than the color and his being lowered, the bikes were identical. The DR is a big thumper rated for 35 hp.

We left Northport, AL on 5 July and took US82 west as far as Amarillo or thereabouts, and then angled southwesterly across the deserts to get on the trail at Silver City, New Mexico. We rode out on street tires and had the knobs put on at a shop in Silver City.

On the way out I was able to run 80 mph all day long no problem with the full load plus the knobbies. My thought is that a 40 hp twin will haul our carcasses and our stuff no problem. Speaking just for myself, the real issue for me is not the hp, but whether I want to hang out in the wind like that all day long on an un-faired bike.

IMG_0041.JPGP7100051.JPG

Last edited:
My gorgeous NT became just too much to push around the garage and was traded for the Honda CB500X The Honda with only 46 1/2 hp has proved to be a fantastic addition and has exceeded any shortcomings I had stepping down to a little 500cc twin..I just put in a 280 mile day visiting the local Moto Guzzi rally in Elkader Ia and my body is telling me thats about the maximum I should punish myself for a day's ride but for normal jaunts to the local Mc Donalds or bike shop in Iowa City it fits the bill just right........

Attachments

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Nice. The CB500X was on my list of bikes to consider for downsizing, with the NT being the largest displacement, and the VersysX300 being the smallest. The bike I ended up with more or less chose me when an older friend was forced out of riding and asked me to take it. No regrets at this point, but the CB might still be "out there" for me some day in the future.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My gorgeous NT became just too much to push around the garage and was traded for the Honda CB500X The Honda with only 46 1/2 hp has proved to be a fantastic addition and has exceeded any shortcomings I had stepping down to a little 500cc twin..I just put in a 280 mile day visiting the local Moto Guzzi rally in Elkader Ia and my body is telling me thats about the maximum I should punish myself for a day's ride but for normal jaunts to the local Mc Donalds or bike shop in Iowa City it fits the bill just right........
I rode Yoda's CB500 down the canyon at Spearfish and was astounded at what a great bike it was....I could have taken it right across the country no problems.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Not to be contrarian about the horsepower factor, but two of us rode the Continental Divide Trail in July 2010 on a pair of Suzuki DR650's. Mine was an '08, and my bud's was a 2010. Other than the color and his being lowered, the bikes were identical. The DR is a big thumper rated for 35 hp.

We left Northport, AL on 5 July and took US82 west as far as Amarillo or thereabouts, and then angled southwesterly across the deserts to get on the trail at Silver City, New Mexico. We rode out on street tires and had the knobs put on at a shop in Silver City.

On the way out I was able to run 80 mph all day long no problem with the full load plus the knobbies. My thought is that a 40 hp twin will haul our carcasses and our stuff no problem. Speaking just for myself, the real issue for me is not the hp, but whether I want to hang out in the wind like that all day long on an un-faired bike.

IMG_0041.JPGP7100051.JPG
The way you pack, its like we are brothers....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

IMG_0041.JPGP7100051.JPG
Looks like you went to the Coyote school of motorcycle packing and graduated Magna Cum Loada!
:rofl1:
Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Those Triumphs look like nice bikes, although I love the Honda reliability and quality, and wouldn't consider a Triumph.

As for size, I rode a Honda CB500X from Santa Rosa California to Charlottesville Virginia in 2019, and it ran flawlessly with a lot of luggage strapped to the back. I never felt that I needed more bike, but I did find that the seat was very uncomfortable after a few hours (unlike the NT where I can ride all day without any discomfort). I think a lot of people are reconsidering how much horsepower is really needed.

IMG_20190823_112733005.jpg

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I still remember a time when only speed demons rode a 650. Normal folk chose 400 and under...

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
LOL. Coyote must be a man of many talents!
The way you pack, its like we are brothers....
Looks like you went to the Coyote school of motorcycle packing and graduated Magna Cum Loada!
:rofl1:
Mike
We had planned for most of a year prior to this trip. I was packing the tools and parts and my bud was packing food and other supplies. Both of us had sleeping bags but I also had a small tent on board. Our plan was to snack for daytime meals, sleep cheap (old hotels/motels) and eat royally for dinner each evening - which pretty much worked for the entire trip. About halfway through, and after spending an afternoon and night with friends in Westcliffe, I left the tent with them to be retrieved over the upcoming fall when I visited those same friends in South Louisiana.

So as we got further north, the load got lighter for both of us. The one time when the load did come in handy was as ballast for a roadside tire repair.
DSC01513.JPG

For just at a week on the trail a third rider was with us. Home needs unexpectedly beckoned so he peeled off at Breckenridge and headed back to where his truck was stashed in New Mexico. My flat was later in the day, after we had shaken hands and parted company that morning.
DSC01482.JPG

We of course swapped up our several hundred photos by email and flash drive after we got home. The particular picture is from my camera, but as always used by permission of my fellow hoodlums.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is my Suzuki DR650 loaded when I did the Continental Divide Ride with a buddy of mine back in 2014. We only did from Wyoming to the boarder of Mexico. Total trip 2000 miles. Very little pavement. My riding buddy was riding a V-strom 650.

SAM_3389.JPGSAM_3520.JPGSAM_3552.JPGSAM_3522.JPG

Last edited:

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Here is my Suzuki DR650 loaded when I did the Continental Divide Ride with a buddy of mine back in 2014. We only did from Wyoming to the boarder of Mexico. Total trip 2000 miles. Very little pavement. My riding buddy was riding a V-strom 650.
Outstanding sir! Looking at the terrain it appears we might have covered some of the very same roads and trails. Likewise, my DR "took a nap" on more than one occasion.

Months before departure I made contact with BigDog (of BigDogAdventures) and obtained his GPS tracks. We also had the Adventure Cycling Association paper maps. Between the two we show some magnificent country and rode some equally as magnificent roads. We recorded just shy of 2,000 miles on dirt.

We rode from south to north but skipped going all the way to the Mexico border to start due to a law enforcement warning in force at the time. So we got on the trail outside of Silver City, NM, and got off north of Yellowstone. By then both of us were injured, and I had a new job calling me. Literally, I had just sat down one evening in the hotel when the contact for what became my next job rang my cell phone. From Red Cloud, and including jags into Mt. Rushmore and over to Sturgis, it took us 4 & 1/2 days to make it back to Alabama.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I sold my DR to a gentleman from Huntsville Alabama. He drove all the way out to Colorado picked up the bike and drove back nonstop. He said he was going to do the TAT with it. He was on this site. Never heard from him again after the transaction.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Road my V strom XT today to town. I wonder if the engine is now EU complient? I understand that some countries have various restrictions and taxes on bigger bikes, and I dont know how much the 500 Triumph will sell for, but right now, I dont see how it could beat the V strom. My 2017 came with a $1250 rebate....love the Givi screen....the bike really handles lightly at slow speeds and the launch assist mades it very hard to kill the engine, even with a big load.
a teton.jpg

Top Bottom