First Over Night Trip

Bike
Silver NT700V
I'm off on my first overnight trip this weekend. Have made some log day trips, up to 540 miles a couple of week ago. I going from Houston, TX to Jackson, MS to visit some relative I haven't seen in a while. Map shows about 490 miles house to house. With some sight seeing Saturday, should be a 1,000+ mile weekend.

Prepacked tonight and it looks like I can get all the clothes in one pannier with the other for gear and a pair of shoes.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Igo

First ever? Oh good for you. There is just something very special to commit to a ride where there is no immediate turn-around. There are so many ways to "adventure" on a motorcycle. Will you be riding any part of The Trace?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We'll be waiting for your trip report, Chuck. And remember: "No pictures? It didn't happen!"

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks for the sentiments.

There are two segments of the Natchez Trace I can go on. One is north from Jackson, which I may ride on just to do it. No particular destiantion up that way. The other is south from Jackson to Natchez. I may come back that way and take back roads across central LA to TX. There are Indian mounds near Natchez which are supposed to be some of the largest pre-columbian earth structures in North America. I also plan to see the pertified forest in Flora MS.

Yes, there will be pics.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
I can now report that my first ever over night trip was a resounding success. The trip up from Houston to Jackson, MS went pretty much as planned. Basically it was a freeway romp east on I-10 to Baton Rouge, LA, then I-12 for a few miles to Hammond, LA, then north on I-55 to Jackson. Weather was threatening rain all day. I think I geared up and geared down for rain four times. Finally caught up to the rain in Brookhaven, MS and rode for about hour in fairly solid rain. Gear worked great, stayed dry, and of course the NT was not fazed.

On Saturday I rode over to Flora, MS to visit the Mississippi Petrified Forest. This is an interesting area of fossilized trees. Some are very large. The one in the picture with the bike weighs over 1,800 lbs. It was transported to Philadelphia, PA for exhibit with the Liberty Bell. the log is so large and heavy, they had to modify the exhibit hall and use a crane to get it inside.

Here is shot of a petrified log as it sits in the ground. These come to light mostly by erosion.

It is spring in the south, so yes, there is poison ivy.

Lunch was at the Blue Rooster in Flora. Doesn't look like much, but the place was packed and the food was good.

Sunday I headed home by riding down the Natchez Trace from Jackson to Natchez. The 'Trace is a Federal Parkway so the speed limit is 50 MPH and enforced, though I didn't see any rangers this time. I used to run this from Jackson north to get to college and saw many rangers back then. The ride is very pleasant and traffic is low. At the lower end, new Natchez, I took a side trip to visit Emerald Mound. This is the econd largest earth mound in the US. There is one bigger in Illinois. Given that it was constructed before 1300 using hand tools and baskets to move dirt, it is amazing.

This view is from the top looking to the opposite end of the mound.

In this view I tried give some idea of the size of the mound. The picture above is from the top of smaller secondary mound to the left in the picture.

Following the mound visit, i altered the original plan and ran US 61 south to Baton Rouge the retraced the Friday route home. Weather was close to perfect on Sunday, sunny, warm and no rain. Winds got quite strong in the afternoon but that is fairly normal for this time of year. Sunday's trip took about 12 hours with the stop and slower first leg.

Total round trip came to 1,036 miles for the week end.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
That's the way to get into distance riding. Do a couple more overnights , but stay off the Freeways and then continue with long weekends and then a week or two on the road. You will learn what you like and don't like and what your limits are. Go with a friend who will push your limits a bit and explore this country by Motorcycle. It is a blast. (For the Most part) Congratulations on the first step.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks, Phil. Post up when you head for Conroe. It's only a few miles from here and there are several NT riders in the area. Would like to get together.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks, Phil. Post up when you head for Conroe. It's only a few miles from here and there are several NT riders in the area. Would like to get together.

I'll do that, Chuck! I hoped it might be possible. I'm guessing that I'll show up down there on the afternoon of June 5, and head toward home on the 7th.

bicyclist

Enjoyed yer trip report, Chuck. I didn't know that Mississippi had a petrified forest. I should be droning by there on 20 around the middle of next week.

Friends did the Trace a month or so ago and were very impressed with the Mound.

Top Bottom