First real DR650 ride.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So today the weather was a perfect Colorado day and I had the urge to go ride. Decided to take the new to me DR650 out for some light weight dirt riding, as I don't have a bash plated mounted yet. Rode Rampart road from Sedalia to Woodland Park. All Dirt. The return was going to be a High speed pavement run from Woodland park to Deckers and then along the South Platte river and then up and over the mountain to Castle Rock and home. Well I made it almost to Deckers and then the ride came to an end.

Saw some beautiful colors today as the Aspen and the Hard Woods Trees were at the peak of there color change for the season. The DR did great with the washboard on the dirt roads. Light and powerful. Faster than the KLR, but easier to slide the rear end out on the gravel. Not something I am comfortable with doing a lot. On the single track/atv trails the DR650 was easy to maneuver between the trees and hoop- de -hoops. Again felt a lot easier then my old KLR.

On the pavement a bit less wind protection than the KLR but seemed to have more get up and go. Felt a bit light in the twisties and not quite as planted as the KLR. Might be the Kinda tires that are on the bike.

All went well until I was almost to the Deckers Country Store. Suddenly the handling got worse and the back end seemed very squarely. I pulled over and stopped and found the rear tire was flat on the bottom. No matter how far I rolled the wheel the tire always stay flat on the bottom. Of course there was no cell coverage there. Got to ride b*t*h on a Harley to the country store. Luckily it was only 2 miles. Called a neighborhood friend of mine and he came with a trailer and rescued me. Took about three hours to come and get me home with the bike. All is well that ends well. Will pull the wheel this week and get a heavy duty tube put in the tire. Also will buy me some tire Irons and a spare tube to have when I ride off to the Boonies. Attached are pictures of just some of the fun before the flat.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chuck,I am supprised tha you didn't have your toool kit and tire repair stuf with you, you must have beenin a hurry to get out to the playground, sure glad it didn't let you doun in the boonies where you might have had a long hike to a phone etc.
Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Nice Color. I wanted to get a blue one too. You say it has more get up and go...Does yours already have a pumper carb like a TM40 or a FCR? I thought mine had plenty of power stock, but bought the TM40 to get rid of slow speed surging at constant speeds (think school zone). I was quite surprised how much better the tm40 was over stock. Gobs of torque down low and no surging issues. Mine is now running a little rich though.

I upgraded my gas tank to an Acerbis 5.3 with locking gas cap this weekend and love it too. Haven't gone through a full tank yet, but it should give me the same range as my NT. I hear the blue version is just translucent enough that you can see your gas level if there is a strong light behind the tank. The blue acerbis looks very nice. Both the tm40 and the acerbis came from Procycle.

The previous weekend I spent Sunday morning just checking out gravel and dirt roads I wouldn't even think of taking my NT on.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Are you going to do an autopsy on the tire/tube to figure what carc'd it? I went through three sets of tire levers/spoons on my CB rebuild before figuring what I liked (these spoons from AMT http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=632_666_671). I for one, would be interested to here your verdict if you care to do so.

Thanks again for taking us along on your journey. Nice photos (as usual) and I'm remembering when...
My preliminary thought is that the tube was pinched when new tires were put on by the dealer, before I bought the bike. Finally with some high speed pavement riding (65mph) the tube finally gave up the ghost. Will check it out further when the tire comes off.

tawilke46

I have had too much experience pinching tubes putting tires on motorcycles or bicycles.
On my old Suzuki X-6 Hustler I had to fix the tube three times before I finally got the wheel back on the bike.

Top Bottom