First Ride of the year

jwayne

Today was my first ride since October of last and it felt great. I have been recovering from aortic valve replacement and by-pass surgery since October 22, 2012. I did ride with chest armor for the first time in my life.
I chose a tissue (cow) valve so I could avoid blood thinners. At first I thought I may have to stop riding but I decided not a chance.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations on getting back on the bike! Letting a little thing like your aortic valve stop you would have been sad! I've had several church members have the valve replacements. The other negative to the mechanical valve is that you'd keep yourself awake listening to it click. :)

Do you have any idea how long bovine valves have been used? All of the tissue valve replacements I'd known of up until just fairly recently had been pig valves.

Good luck on your continued recovery!

OP
OP

jwayne

Thanks guys, I don't how long they have been using the the bovine valve but it has been for quite a while. I heard clicking I didn't want to have to deal with than and the thinner. My surgeon said the cow valve should last 10-15 years that was good enough for me. The doc wanted me to wait for 12 weeks before I rode, I could only make it to a little over 10 weeks.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Glad you got a ride in. You know, in 10 to 15 years the valve that is attached to a stent (experimental now) may be main stream. You would just have that threaded into place through the artery in your groin, replacing your current valve.

Top Bottom