First ride on my NC700X/w DCT

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It'd been 2-weeks since I brought the NC700X home from Katherine's and looking at the the long range forecast, this morning was the best day for who knows how long. The rain stopped early this morning, the wind was fairly mild and temps were in the low 40s but starting in the PM, the temps would drop precipitously with winds getting stronger. Tomorrow's temp is only supposed to reach into the mid-teens.

I've yet to hookup anything to power my electric vest and my gloved hands would be unprotected because the NC lacks any wind deflectors but I've ridden BMWs without wind protection on foreign tours so I know the drill.

The engine starts easily and while the engine is idling, it is in "N" (neutral). Every time you turn OFF the engine and stop, then restart it, the transmission goes to N. To get going you have to select either "D" (drive) or "S" (sport) on a rocker switch. I took off in D and it felt fine but coming to a stop it did feel weird without a clutch lever or shift lever to manipulate! To utilize the engine's low RPM torque and maximize fuel economy, it short shifts when leaving from a stop in D. Using S, holds each gear just a bit longer before upshifting. At any time while riding in D or S, you can manually downshift or upshift using the small levers (+ and -) on the left handlebar control. According to the owner's manual, if you attempt a downshift that will put the engine above redline, it won't do it.

When coming to a stop, you can feel the transmission downshifting plus there is also a small display on the dash that shows what gear you're in. Above the gear number display it will show D, S, or N depending on what you've selected. While riding in D or S, you can manually downshift/upshift and unless you continue to do it manually, it will automatically revert to one of the automatic selections. At 60 mph, the engine RPM is about 3000-3200 so a thousand less than the NT. Part of this is having a 6th gear and part is the ultra tall overall gearing to help gas mileage.

One of my questions regarding the NC/w DCT was its ability to merge into traffic on an interstate so I tried some of those runs (30-to-70 mph) on a country road and it did just fine. Although it only has a single disc in front, it seems to stop as well as my NT, perhaps related to it being nearly 100 pounds lighter. Both my NT and the NC have ABS with a partially linked system activated by the brake pedal.

The NT suspension has always been too harsh, partially because of the limited travel and partially from having springs that are too strong. The NC has about 20% more travel, front & rear, and the springs are more closely matched to reality so it felt fine. On my first ride on the NT (Feb 2010), I knew the springs were too strong for me before I got three blocks from my house!

I bought this bike as a curiosity and ostensibly to be used only for day rides. Obviously it lacks the weather protection of an NT nor does it have any luggage capacity but both are fixable by throwing money at it. What can't be fixed is having a chain final drive but perhaps that won't be so bad?. The compartment in front, called a "frunk" by NC riders, is huge and its lid is hinged at the rear. I had my garage door opener in the frunk and had to nearly get off the bike to find it because the frunk is very deep and the lid is in your way if you're seated on the bike. This is a tiny, tiny gripe.

It was a good first ride. :)

Last edited:
Dirtflier, I'm sure you've visited Twisted Throttle's website and seen how they've farkled the NC. I saw their demo bike there when I visited them in '13 and it looked pretty good.

Thanks for the info. I hope you'll keep us informed about how well the DCT functions. I'm particularly interested in how it does at parking lot speeds and situations where you would normally be feathering the clutch. I know a guy with an NC, who really likes it, but his has the standard transmission, so I can't get a sense of how the DCT works from him.

I would guess, that at parking lot speeds, the rear brake becomes really important.

Yes, I've looked at the Twisted Throttle website and also their nice catalog. I'm glad I live 500+ miles from their store otherwise I'd be penniless!

You have to remember that similar to a car with an automatic transmission, the DCT is essentially freewheeling when you're off the throttle. During a parking lot maneuver with the engine idling, the clutch is still disengaged and I never got the impression that the engine was pushing me.

The DCT has a separate casting between the right side engine cover and the crankcase where all the magic happens. The engine oil pump routes part of its output through a separate, small oil filter then to whichever clutch needs to be engaged. In the manual transmission engine a smaller quantity of oil is sent to the hollow transmission shafts to lubricate & cool the gears and clutch, as is normal in Honda motorcycles. The engine crankcase also has a cast aluminum oil pan shared by both normal and DCT models.

Although the NC uses a lot of shared technology with Honda car engines, the common belief that "...it's half a Honda Fit engine," is not true. The dimensions of the parts are different so nothing is a direct lift from the Fit. The NC bore & stroke is undersquare, 73 x 80, which is totally new to Honda motorcycles and it makes it more of a tractor. By comparison, the bore & stroke of the NT is 81 x 66 so it's clearly a high RPM engine.

Last edited:
I rode one of these for just a short ride but was very impressed with how well it selected the right gear for the job. The forward pegs are what took more getting accustomed to than the gearbox. I drive a smart with a single dry plate AMT and am one of the very few that like the way it works. Makes me want to try a VFR with a DCT now.

I think you rode the CTX700, Karl. It has a low seat and forward pegs; sort of cruiser-ish. The NC700X has a standard riding position and has a faux adventure bike look. It's a nice bike.

I think you rode the CTX700, Karl. It has a low seat and forward pegs; sort of cruiser-ish. The NC700X has a standard riding position and has a faux adventure bike look. It's a nice bike.

I did. It has the same gearbox and I liked it very much. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the report. Especially about your suspension comments. I have always thought my NT was on the harsh side with a strong spring. I am happy with my NT suspension at highway speeds, but around town it is just too harsh. This is the biggest reason I putt around town on the soft seahorse suspension that came on the DR650. I sat on an NC at a dealers and thought it would be perfect for me and my commute. If I had one, I would totally tour on the NC. If I can spend 3 weeks on the DR650 I could probably do it better on the NC. The trip I took on the DR that was 3 weeks and 5300 miles saw very little dirt or off road. Many of the 2 lane roads I took were rough and I was glad for the extra travel though.

[I have always thought my NT was on the harsh side with a strong spring. I am happy with my NT suspension at highway speeds, but around town it is just too harsh.]

Changing the shock spring to one with a softer rate and cutting down the spring spacers in the fork can make a big difference.

And I thought the NT had a soft suspension.

I'd still love to have a DCT on a bike. If only the VFR1200 had been set up more for touring than sport? Better still would be a VFR800 with DCT, shaft drive and touring fairing.

[Better still would be a VFR800 with DCT, shaft drive and touring fairing]

That would be a real dud since Americans have a penchant for comparing cost per cc when buying a bike, which is one reason there are so few mid-sized sport tourers. The price of the 2015 VFR with all the bells & whistles is a hair over $14k.

Your example would make the astronomical MSRP of the DN-01 scooter seem like a real bargain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom